PDA

View Full Version : Kid Cries when he does not catch a Ball/ Fox news

Lady Laurel
04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/27/texas-father-says-couple-was-oblivious-to-crying-son-after-foul-ball/

WTF... Why are people calling this couple... They caught to ball so what. I am sorry he could not get the ball like he wanted but guess what we cannot get what we want every time. Not to mention the couple did not even realize...

As many Astros games I have been to and New Orlean Saints game.. guess what I would have never heard the him... its loud and most of the time out of courtesy you lean toward who is with you not crowd people you do not know... Also, they caught the ball hello!!!
You know the media I guess is board hype it up call it greed.. I call it board sensationalism.

Gemdrite
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I was reading about this, and I am really glad that the kid's parents are not upset at all. They basically said, "He needs to learn that he can't get what he wants by whining and misbehaving." Good parenting there!

Margaret
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I am glad all parties are dealing with this like it's the non-story that it should be. The little boy got a ball last year (per the article) and did not understand that he did not get a ball every year. Even if the ball got tossed 4 rows away from him, I believe he'd still have that reaction. It's the nature of a 3 year old to be ego centric and selfish. Not the adults.

Lady Sarah
04-28-2012, 01:00 AM
From what I've heard here, Mitch intended for the kid to get the ball. Very rarely do the players intentionally throw the ball to adults. You ask any player, they'll tell you that they'll toss the ball to kids first.

That being said, I'm of the mind that when you're sitting next to a kid and a ball is tossed up into the stands by a player, you don't reach out and snatch it for yourself. That's my mindset, at least. Catching homers and fouls, horse of a different color. I haven't been in a good position to catch one at any of the games I've attended, but if I did, it'd go to one of the kids in my family. My excitement comes from being at the game, not taking home baseballs. I don't need those kinds of souvenirs. Chances are, the couple will toss the ball in a few months anyway.

Was the story sensationalized? Sure. I mean, it was a Yankees commentator that started it. As a nation, we love kids and we boo and hiss at anyone who makes kids cry. At the time of the game, no one knew the whole story and the commentator called it like he saw it. Even he said in the article later that he believes the couple didn't do it maliciously. However, they were oblivious, caught up in their own excitement - they admitted it and the boy's father admitted it. Does that excuse them? Not to me. But, they did offer it to the tyke later and that makes up for it in my book. Should the kid expect to catch a ball? No, of course not. I personally don't he'd have that reaction if it was four rows away, but, I don't have kids, so I'm only conjecturing here.

Either way, can we not bag on the kid for being a kid, 'kay?

Gemdrite
04-28-2012, 02:21 AM
I don't think anybody is bagging on the kid for being a kid. The fact is, the kid *didn't* get the ball, he whined and cried about it (his parents' words, by the way,) and a bunch of people who weren't his parents felt the need to give their 2 cents. Yes, they were oblivious. I don't think they need an excuse at all. They were at a game, a player threw a ball, they caught it. It isn't like they jumped in front of the kid to catch it. Everybody reacts differently, and this was the couple's first Rangers game. I'd be excited as heck too if a ball got tossed in my direction and I caught it. They didn't see the kid; they said they would have given it to him if they had noticed him; they offered the ball to him later when they realized what happened; the kid had gotten a ball at the last game and was expecting to receive one at this game as well; he actually ended up getting a ball later that game; basically, they did everything they could to rectify the situation that didn't really require rectifying in the first place, and they are *still* receiving nasty phone calls from strangers about it. I think it's ridiculous that people expected them to give the ball to the kid in the first place. Yeah, it's a nice gesture, but this attitude of "kids should get all the special things just cause their kids" is why we have so many entitled children these days.

Margaret
04-28-2012, 08:17 AM
"Cameron, who took home a ball from a game last season, was so sure that he’d get another souvenir that not getting that one was too much to handle, Shores said."

That's a quote from the kid's mom. It's what happens when you are 3. Something happens once and you expect it to happen again. I was in no way ragging on the kid - just saying he had a normal kid like reaction. Then what happened? He had a crying spell because he (in his very kid like way) started crying because he did not get a ball, so they gave him a ball. What's going to happen the next time Cameron goes to a game.......he's going to expect to get tossed a baseball. It happened the last two times he was at a game, why should it not happen now?

Life lessons are hard to learn, especially when you have national news attention adding to that. I think Cameron's mom was on the right path to teaching him that you don't always get the ball when you come to the game. Then the commentators stepped in and blew that out of the water.

Phoenix McHeit
04-28-2012, 10:20 AM
It's what happens when you are 3. Something happens once and you expect it to happen again. I was in no way ragging on the kid - just saying he had a normal kid like reaction. Then what happened? He had a crying spell because he (in his very kid like way) started crying because he did not get a ball, so they gave him a ball. What's going to happen the next time Cameron goes to a game.......he's going to expect to get tossed a baseball. It happened the last two times he was at a game, why should it not happen now?

This.

If I gave in every time my toddler boys cried over not getting something they wanted, I'd have a bunch of entitled, spoiled, teenagers. Yes, he cried. He's three. They do that. But that does not mean he needs to get his way automatically, nor does it mean that the couple who caught the ball were *being mean* to the kid. To a three-y/o, not getting a ball is reason to cry, sure. But it's not the end of the world, and he WOULD HAVE learned that, if he hadn't been given a ball specifically because he cried about losing out on the original one. Now he's learned that if he cries hard enough, strangers will make sure he gets his way.

And personally I'm SICK over the 'adults need to give something up if there is a child in the vicinity who might want it' mindset that the announcer had. I'd be excited as heck to get a thrown ball. Those things are damned expensive at the souvenir stand.

Life's hard. Get a helmet.

AnnaFaerie
04-28-2012, 10:50 AM
i don't think anybody is bagging on the kid for being a kid. The fact is, the kid *didn't* get the ball, he whined and cried about it (his parents' words, by the way,) and a bunch of people who weren't his parents felt the need to give their 2 cents. Yes, they were oblivious. I don't think they need an excuse at all. They were at a game, a player threw a ball, they caught it. It isn't like they jumped in front of the kid to catch it. Everybody reacts differently, and this was the couple's first rangers game. I'd be excited as heck too if a ball got tossed in my direction and i caught it. They didn't see the kid; they said they would have given it to him if they had noticed him; they offered the ball to him later when they realized what happened; the kid had gotten a ball at the last game and was expecting to receive one at this game as well; he actually ended up getting a ball later that game; basically, they did everything they could to rectify the situation that didn't really require rectifying in the first place, and they are *still* receiving nasty phone calls from strangers about it. I think it's ridiculous that people expected them to give the ball to the kid in the first place. Yeah, it's a nice gesture, but this attitude of "kids should get all the special things just cause their kids" is why we have so many entitled children these days.

Amen, sistah!

AnnaFaerie
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
This.

If I gave in every time my toddler boys cried over not getting something they wanted, I'd have a bunch of entitled, spoiled, teenagers. Yes, he cried. He's three. They do that. But that does not mean he needs to get his way automatically, nor does it mean that the couple who caught the ball were *being mean* to the kid. To a three-y/o, not getting a ball is reason to cry, sure. But it's not the end of the world, and he WOULD HAVE learned that, if he hadn't been given a ball specifically because he cried about losing out on the original one. Now he's learned that if he cries hard enough, strangers will make sure he gets his way.

And personally I'm SICK over the 'adults need to give something up if there is a child in the vicinity who might want it' mindset that the announcer had. I'd be excited as heck to get a thrown ball. Those things are damned expensive at the souvenir stand.

This is why you have good kids.

Phoenix McHeit
04-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Another thing I thought of - as far as the couple not hearing him? Well honestly, they have 7 kids between them. I'm sure they did hear him, and most probably TUNED HIM OUT. It's a crying child - that's NOT THEIRS - at a public venue. I know when I hear crying children, especially when my own aren't with me, I try my damndest to not listen. If I worried and fretted over every crying child I heard, I'd never have any enjoyment when I'm in public. My phrase is "NMK, NMP" - Not My Kid, Not My Problem.

Anymore, one can't comment to a parent without getting stabby-eyes returned to you at the very least, if not verbally told off. It's better to ignore than to try and intervene.

Gemdrite
04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again." *sigh* It won't let me give reputation to anyone anymore, because not enough people post for me to spread it around before coming back. Grr.

Lady Sarah
04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
:unamused:

So, everyone's basically saying that my feelings about giving the kid the ball is what leads to entitled children and I'm destined to be a horrible parent because I would have given the kid the ball had I caught it - even though I don't necessarily want it for myself.

Good to know. I'll keep my parenting concepts to myself in the future.

For the record, I NEVER said that giving in to the kid was right or that he deserved it. I just felt that it was wrong for the couple next to him to have reached out and taken the ball in their excitement. Maybe I've been to so many games at the stadium that catching a ball holds no glamour or sentiment to me.

Phoenix McHeit
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh for heaven's sake, Sarah - no one said you were destined for anything. You voiced your opinion, we voiced ours. They differ. It happens.

Gemdrite
04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
If you don't care about catching a ball and you want to give it to a kid, good, fine, more power to you. But that doesn't mean everybody feels that way, and I personally would be thrilled to catch a ball at a ball game. I would *not* give it to the kid near me just cause he's a kid. They didn't reach out in front of the kid; in fact, it landed at their feet between the man and woman who got the ball. The kid held out his hand, expecting it to be given to him. It wasn't, and he got pissed. *Catering to the temper tantrum* is what creates entitlement issues, and the nationwide attitude of "kids come first." Sorry, no, they don't always come first. There are situations where they should, yes, of course. This was not one of them.

AnnaFaerie
04-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Why can't we give rep points anymore? The last few times I've tried I get the same message that I have to spread it around more before I can give it to the person I want to give it to.

Consider yourself repped, Gem.

If you don't care about catching a ball and you want to give it to a kid, good, fine, more power to you. But that doesn't mean everybody feels that way, and I personally would be thrilled to catch a ball at a ball game. I would *not* give it to the kid near me just cause he's a kid. They didn't reach out in front of the kid; in fact, it landed at their feet between the man and woman who got the ball. The kid held out his hand, expecting it to be given to him. It wasn't, and he got pissed. *Catering to the temper tantrum* is what creates entitlement issues, and the nationwide attitude of "kids come first." Sorry, no, they don't always come first. There are situations where they should, yes, of course. This was not one of them.

Lady Laurel
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
This.

Totally.. this is what I wanted to say and cannot articulate it like you can... Yes!
I feel like society has turned into an entitlment society and passing it along to their kids. ( but thats another issue all together) I felt like the couple was not in anyway trying to hurt the child. Honestly, I tune out kids when I am out, not because I am mean or bothered, I have 4 teenage stepkids and not little ones
so I am not tuned into crying etc... I felt like the media hyped this up so much and made the couple malicious people when they were just having fun. Well hell next time before I do anything I will make sure there is not a camera on me so people won't try to construe whatever I am doing into some bad.

Lady Laurel
04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again." *sigh* It won't let me give reputation to anyone anymore, because not enough people post for me to spread it around before coming back. Grr.

I tried to give you Kudos...:aok::aok::aok: