PDA

View Full Version : Alive... I think.

rosefaeries
07-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Groan... I managed to get really sunburned despite wearing sunblock. I look like a racoon in inverse. The only spots on my face that isn't burned is a spot up on my forehead and where my sunglasses were at. I even managed to get burned through my shirt. (I am still trying to figure that one out.) Not even going to talk about my scalp. I know I am going to be peeling there soon. Did you know that you can get sunburned in the most interesting patterns through Keen hiking sandals? Makes wearing any shoes a high adventure.

I picked up some aloe vera gel with lidocain in it this afternoon. I am really liking that stuff, except I really really want to use it more than the directions say to.

Where we are living now parades are taken very seriously. The Boy Scout troop that Hunter is in was in the 4th of July parade. They lashed together catapults to have a mobile water balloon fight in the parade. The catapults were lashed to some heavy metal push carts (like the ones used at Costco). The assistant Scoutmaster wore his utilikit with his uniform shirt and hat in the parade. (Actually with the khaki green kilt is a good look with the shirt and especially the scoutmaster's hat.) The troop took second place for their category. I got sunburned waiting for them to show up in the parade so I could get photos.

The boys had fun with their water war. At the end of the parade, it was the adults vs the boys. From what I understand, it was an all out water fight. I missed seeing that, I was still working my way to where the parade ended at.

On the good news side, I finished up everything for my Associate degree and should be receiving it sometime in the next couple of months. I already got all three of the certificates I earned.

I think I am going to slather on some more aloe vera gel. It would be nice to get some sleep tonight.

MaidenFaeSnow
07-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Several years ago I had a horrible bodice burn. I picked up some Burts Bees After Sun Care lotion and I never use anything else anymore, it was AWESOME!

rosefaeries
07-07-2012, 04:52 PM
I will see if I can pick up some of that. I am trying to figure out what to do about the scalp sunburn. I hate getting sunburned there. (I had a hat, it decided to go off exploring on its own and it hasn't come back home.)

MaidenFaeSnow
07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I got some scalp burn in Florida in January. The burn wasn't the worst part though, the peeling was terrible - looked awful!!

rosefaeries
07-07-2012, 10:00 PM
It is the itching that is getting to me at the moment. I haven't started peeling there... yet. Else where, well I am starting to do a pretty good imitation of a snake.

Well, at least once in my life I am a-peeling. ::rimshot:

MillieWylde
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
As a red-head who has studied Fish & Wildlife (ALL outdoor work!!) - I feel your pain. If you figure out anything that can be done for the scalp sunburn, please let us know... I never have figured anything out for that but "grin and bear it". :yuck:

That parade scene sounds hilarious - the water balloon catapults and all. Would love to have seen that! :aok:

rosefaeries
07-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Ok here is what I have figured out about scalp sunburns...

While soaking in a tub of water and baking soda can help with the sunburn, it is not helpful when you get the harebrained idea to pour vinegar over your head because the scalp itching is still driving you around the bend. (Yes there is some action that sounds somewhat like Rice Crispies when you do that. Though it may have helped if I had actually measured the baking soad vs just dumping it in.)

Aloe vera gel is helpful for sunburns, it is not helpful with hair in the way. Let's just say I am very grateful there is no photographic evidence of that attempt.

Straight apple cider vinegar seems to help, but you do smell a bit like well vinegar, or fermented apples if the weather is hot enough.

Deep conditioning helps, though if you over do it, it does result iin very limp hair.

celtic wench suzi
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Sorry to be so late in replying but guess you can always use it for future burns. For anywhere on the body I've been using the aloe vera gel with lidocane for 30 years. I keep at least 2 bottles in the house year round. For & kitchen burns is Mary Kay regular formula nightcream. Be sure it is the orange gel & not the white cream. it really seals in moisture.

Phoenix McHeit
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
omg I LOVE Mary Kay's Extra Emollient Night Cream! I have a jar in the kitchen for just this reason.