PDA

View Full Version : Annoying fake members

Phoenix McHeit
08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm sure y'all have seen the posts with bad English, nonsense phrasing, and non sequiturs. Seeing the "New Posts" link together today, I have made a connection. They all take a 'male' name and add letters to the end.

Mitchelion
Philliper
Jonathane
Zackarren

:unamused: I've been reporting them as SPAM, but the weird thing is, they're not linking to anything. They're not really spamming, per se, but just bumping dead posts or posting ridiculous comments about downloading things or access to music. Weird, yes... odd, definitely... but spam? Not sure. I'm not even sure they're different people. They all arrived about the same week time-frame, and they all have the same style of typing.

Now I know we're not as active as we have been in the past, but this is still my home, and I don't take kindly to folks barging in, mussing up the covers, opening the cabinets and not even saying How d'you do?

Does anyone know - is there some kind of job that asks people to scour the 'net, find and join forums, and post comments? Without trying to sell something? I'm stumped as to the purpose of these things.

-Irritated Phee

Margaret
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't know of any company that is asking people to jump in and add stuff to forums. However, I am kind of leery about them.

I mean, if they were trying the 'phfish for info' thing, you'd think they would attatch themselves to new posts - or at least newer posts. Ya know?

I have not seen these type of posts on any other forum I belong too either. Are they showing up on the boy's board too?

Margaret
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.wench.org/showthread.php/92155-It-is-a-science.

There is this however, one of them replied to the other. With actual proper wording and such. Hm.

Phoenix McHeit
08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
True enough. But this Carlislen has a coupon link in her sig. All these others have the same 'dot' signature. Two claim to be male, two to be female, all from New York.

There's also this one from yesterday - http://www.wench.org/showthread.php/15923-A-diet-helper?p=404912&viewfull=1#post404912

Different name, and only this one post, but she changed the link that Dona Nina had originally posted. Makes me raise my eyebrow and go "Hmmmmm"

Buxom Wench
08-23-2012, 10:39 AM
The way the posts are worded almost seems like they are using a translator program.

And I have also been reporting them as spam.
Most make no sense and just annoy the hell out of me,

AnnaFaerie
08-23-2012, 01:36 PM
My thought on it all is that it is one person. I just thought he was a troll. Now I don't know what to think.

GoodyTombShoes
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I have been wondering about the new members. At one point I thought spam. Then I thought maybe it's a spy vs spy thing and we are just a vehicle for candestine conversation.

Psyche
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know - is there some kind of job that asks people to scour the 'net, find and join forums, and post comments? Without trying to sell something? I'm stumped as to the purpose of these things.
If they have a link in their sig or profile, definitely. A lot of them do that. We have problems with that on other boards I am on. Very annoying. A friend's boss just tried to get her to join and comment on posts on industry related boards just to get the link back in the post. She refused. She is the head of marketing and social media.

True enough. But this Carlislen has a coupon link in her sig. All these others have the same 'dot' signature. Two claim to be male, two to be female, all from New York.

There's also this one from yesterday - http://www.wench.org/showthread.php/15923-A-diet-helper?p=404912&viewfull=1#post404912

Different name, and only this one post, but she changed the link that Dona Nina had originally posted. Makes me raise my eyebrow and go "Hmmmmm"
Both would count as spammers on other boards I have been admin on. Changing the text in the quote is a ban-able offense on some boards, regardless of links.

The way the posts are worded almost seems like they are using a translator program. Indeed. Also something I see elsewhere.

RedFox
08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I've noticed them and figured it was one person trying to mess with us so I've just reported as spam when I see it.

Gemdrite
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I have been reporting them as spam, because despite the partial relevance to threads, they are still annoying posts. They make my head hurt trying to make them logical sometimes (and I am talking grammar, not content, because content that confuses me has been a part of the wench forums since I joined, :lol:) I'm not sure if they are supposed to be trying to worm their way in and then eventually they will start being more spam-like, but I wish they would stop.