PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for outfit accessories

LadyStacy
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Ladies,

As I've mentioned earlier I'm new here and, as a newbie, I am in need of help.

For my first faire as a wench I have an outfit being made (read my bio for particulars) but I feel that I need to accessorize (what woman doesn't).

What should I go with as accessories?

Is there a preferred vendor that we go to?

Do I just search the web for anyone selling womens ren faire accessories?

Your help is encouraged and appreciated.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Lady Stacy

Buxom Wench
01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
When you say 'accessories', do you mean things like:

belt
pouches
hat
fan
drinking vessel

Those are a good start. If you don't want to wear alot on a belt (it can get weighty)
I would suggest a small basket, preferrably covered.
After that, the sky's the limit.
It all depends on what you want to carry with you through out the day.

The best advice I can suggest is, go to faire, see what others carry with them and then see if that's what you "really" need.
But be warned, accessories can take over your life. (spoken by a woman with almost too many).

LadyStacy
01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Putting a bunch of stuff on a belt is not a problem for me. I was a cop years ago and had to carry a bunch of cop equipment on my belt. My wench gear shouldn't be anywhere as heavy.

The list you have looks like a great start. I just would put the drinking vessel toward the top of the list though :wink:

Thanks for your help.

Lady Stacy

Buxom Wench
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM
As for drinking vessels, you may want a small variety.

pewter - for hot days to also use to cool the skin (carefully!)
wood
plastic bottle covered in leather - light weight
ceramic
horn (with cover)

Depending on the day, you'd have a choice.
Also, you'll want one that also takes hot beverages in case it's cold on the day.
Hot tea was in my wood mug all day a few years ago when it snowed in Texas on opening day.

Gellis Indigo
01-12-2013, 08:36 AM
If you are interested in a wood mug, I can't speak highly enough about http://wondrousworksinwood.com/Scripts/default.asp

Their creations are beautiful and can be used for both hot and cold beverages, and come in a nice variety of shapes, colors, sizes, etc.

Guinnee
01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Since you have a few suggestions for the drinking vessel, here is a reasonable website for pouches. These make some good starter pouches.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/

Welcome!

(http://www.museumreplicas.com/)

Redbird Annie Cardinal
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
If you are interested in a wood mug, I can't speak highly enough about http://wondrousworksinwood.com/Scripts/default.asp

Their creations are beautiful and can be used for both hot and cold beverages, and come in a nice variety of shapes, colors, sizes, etc.

I second this! I bought my mug on a Saturday, on a Sunday, while I was drinking coffee from it, it leaked out the bottom. I took it back to the shop and without question, they let me choose another one. Several years later, I have gotten several scratches in the wood. Showed it to them at faire, and they told me to send it to them, they fix at no charge, you only have to pay for shipping.

I went back and bought my husband a bigger mug, and he has never had any problems with his, and our friend saw ours and bought one for himself, and his has been perfect, too. They have fantastic customer service, and beautiful products, too.

Jamianne
01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
A mug strap to attach your mug to your belt for when you're not using it may also be something you'd want. A lot of the leather-working shops at Faire carry them.

LadyStacy
01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Buying things at the faire? I feel like such an idiot that I didn't think of that.

I prefer to look at things and try them out befor buying. I guess that I should plan on showing up and buying all of my stuff there (except for the clothes that I'll be wearing).

Should I be concerned that the vendors will run out of belts, skirt hikes, pouches, ...?

Thanks to all for your help with this newbie.

Lady Stacy

Jamianne
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm the same way - I prefer to see things in person before buying. I've never not been able to find the basics at Faire - pouches, belts, hats, snoods, straps, etc. so I wouldn't be too concerned with the vendors running out. They may run out of a specific size/color/style, especially if it's something more unusual so they don't have many in inventory. But many places will allow you to order and either pick up later in the season or will ship to you in that case. :smile: