PDA

View Full Version : What to do during the looooong winter....

Meg Hille
01-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Keeping in mind that I'm writing from the freezing state of New Hampshire under a three foot deep blanket of snow and ice (not joking!- and we're getting MORE snow tonight!) I've got to ask....
what does everyone do during the "off" season to get their Ren faire fix? I, myself, have Renaissance themed parties. One of my friends works at a drycleaning place and sometimes dresses in garb to work. She loves getting all the comments from customers. So, anyway, what (if anything) does everyone else do?

Tink
01-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Faire season is faire enough for me. :lol:

Afterall, what do you have to look foward to, if it was a year-round activity? :wink:

As for fixes, there's this board, the rogues board, AFR...if you want to stay in touch and "in the know"....other than that, I don't know what else to suggest.

Maybe look around for sci/fantasy cons?

Good luck and stay warm!

jmthane
01-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Rest and recuperate from having performed 21 weekends of 34 between the first of March and mid-October, including 14 of those weekends between July and the end of that run! :faint: :zzz:

Bonnie
01-09-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm sick. I FIND faires. My season, so to speak, starts in Feb, and ends in March, technically. That's all the Florida faires I attend. I accepted I needed more faires than that, and rose to the occassion this past year, finding and attending three out of state faires. So now, my season ends in November/October some time, and I fill my down time with learning to sew, the boards, downloading music...I love finding new Newfie and Celtic and Renflavored things...

andof course, there is the full time job of staying in touch with my friends across the country...gotta maintain those bonds! (truly...cause I wanna have crash space come this season!) :) :P

AnkleGoddess
01-09-2003, 07:13 PM
I hit the library... HARD! I should have enough books for the nice 3 weeks atleast.

Saphyne
01-09-2003, 07:26 PM
The SCA keeps me busy enough, thankyouverymuch.

I actually wish I had more time to rest, relax, and enjoy weekends.

Oh well.

PirateKisses
01-09-2003, 09:41 PM
I'm with you, Tink. Once faire season is over, I put the garb in it's special place just in case I might need it. But, for the most part, what I do during the winter and off season is play the Buffy CCG. I'm one of the volunteers for the game who sets up tournaments, demos and deck building sessions. I can honestly say that it's a complete blast! So unlike the experience I had with the rabid Magic the Gathering players in Dallas who hated new people.

I'm thinking this winter I might try to figure out the Buffy RPG. I'm pretty RPG ignorant so it's going to take me a while to get through the main book. I also do a lot of writing in the winter.

PK
who is gonna go curl up with a good book and catch a little down time

Mairi the Herbwench
01-09-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm currently on staff of Clann Tartan, a Scottish Living history group. This keeps me way too busy, since our active show season starts in Feb and ends at the end of October. And I feel for you in New Hampshire - the last two days we had weather in the 50's her in MN, and today it got cold - almost to 30. This has been a very strange winter for here near Frostbite Falls... Plus, there's sewing to be done, research to search, Sci-fi conventions, (remedial typing...) and general husband loving :smooch: to be done. Along with applying for grad school and a better job!

Aries
01-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Play with my kids...and when the kids are with Mom, drink lots of Meade. Think of what I might wear next year. Did I mention drink lots of Meade...

jillian
01-10-2003, 06:15 AM
I usully leave the garb on the dressmaker's dummy until I have to have a "fix," then I play Corsairs music and try it on to make sure the bodice still fits. Last time I did it, I had to take another inch in ! Woo-hoo!
I also like to go into the basement and do a little Irish dance. Maybe I'll get a bellydance video.

:bananada: Dancey dancey!

Jillian the Manhattanvillian

Beatriz
01-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Keep my eyes peeled for lil odds and ends to enhance next season's garb (or, currently, my new desk)--did you realize that those bead garlands sold for Christmas trees would make smashing accessories for upper class garb? Or that the bells sold for door ornaments sound delicious dangling from your belt? And after the holidays they are DIRT cheap!

Teach myself to sew--embroider spiders on my garb--search trim for spider motif to add to my garb.

Make spider-themed stationery so I can keep in touch with my far (and no-so-far) flung friends

Listen to the Corsairs, In Our Cups, Pyrates Royal and drive my neighbors bonkers

Wear my fair boots to the office under long skirts. Clomp around all day "arrrrghing" at everyone.

Make road trip plans. Schedule vacation days around faire related events. Discuss "mini-unofficial invasion" plans with friends as neurotic as I am.

"Hi, my name is Beatriz and I'm an addict."

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
01-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Actually, it's not that much of a vacation. Stockwood rehearsals officially start this week, so technically, my season restarts on Saturday. :whip: Otherwise, I try to keep up with my work and insane social obligations (home is that place where I go to change clothes and feed the cats) as well as the irish dance and belly dance classes I take each week. Luckily, between Stockwood and NYRF I have about two months where I may hit or miss faires, depending on how burned out I am after the show. :flamed:

Right now, I'm working on my character, trying desperately to get back on my diet and back in shape so the stage combat training doesn't kick my arse.
Nothing like starting with two minutes of horse stance to get the legs quivering... :faint:

lauradake
01-10-2003, 11:44 AM
So, anyway, what (if anything) does everyone else do?

Get ready for faire! :) This winter I'm *supposedly) working on my Elizabethan. It hasn't been started yet.... but it's in the plans.

Mind you, it's been in the plans for two years... *grin*

lauradake
01-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Oooh... and I have a mind to try blackwork this winter, too.

We'll see how THAT turns out. ;)

Tempest_Gypsy
01-10-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm actually thinking of taking up embroidery...once I finish every other damned thing I'm working on. My problem isn't usually what to do, its when to do what I already have!

Currently on my to-do list is three websites, updating my theatre portfolio, designing the spring show, about five back seewing projects I've started and about twenty I haven't yet, jewelry making, my Rom/English dictionary website and then finding time to pop over here and the rogue boards and also hang out with my new roommate. Hells, I need a faire to relax!!!!!

P.S. Beatriz! I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks of excuses to wear bits of garb during 'normal' life! Actually, I usually' have my guild pin on my winter coat. It makes a nice contrast on all the black!!!

justLori
01-10-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning the sewing room, along with getting some long-ago projects completed. I made it a whole year without purchasing fabric (for me--I can't help it if I have to buy some for these commission pieces!) and am now looking forward to planning and purchasing to flesh out a middles or nobles outfit.

I'm also keeping my head above water at work. That takes up most of my time. :(

Oh, and I'm going to finish this $#^$%&@$ bathroom rennovation that we started last April...We need that second (really the main) bathroom back...

just Lori

AllieSutherland
01-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Well, the other night, I got the "winter blahs" mixed with "relationship blahs." I got a complete set of Pooh bathroom accesories for my b-day in November, and I put them up in my bathroom. The vinyl was enough to give both myself and Lady Pudgie d'Mutt a WICKED (but not welcomed) vinyl-scent-high (YUCK) but I really felt better once I had it up. A Pooh poo room. ;) LMAO!

Anyway, I was also perusing Wally World, and I saw Kellogg's cereals had Pooh (and friends) Bobble Heads. Really cheap and tacky, but they made me smile. ;)

XOXOXOXOX
Allie

Bonnie
01-11-2003, 02:28 AM
no, you are definitely NOT the only one to look for excuses to wear faire garb.

Last year, I used the excuse that my new Sandlar boots needed to be well broken in, so I wore them every day for like two months. I'll wear my cloak out to walk the dog, especially if it's raining, because the cloak is waterproofed. I'll wear my bloomers to run errands....and occasionally will put on the whole thing...just to model the new trim on the hem of my skirt for the neighbors. and a half chemise looks rather nice with a pair of jeans and a belt....your faire belt works nicely...and are you going to the zoo? slip that belt pouch on your belt.

I guess if I made my living doing this, I might be less enthusiastic, but then again, this is the reason why I won't work faires...I don't ever want to lose my enthusiasm for the thing. I'm a geek, and I love it, and I love my fellow geeks too!

Ysobelle
01-11-2003, 08:29 AM
I guess if I made my living doing this, I might be less enthusiastic, but then again, this is the reason why I won't work faires...I don't ever want to lose my enthusiasm for the thing. I'm a geek, and I love it, and I love my fellow geeks too!

Hey, HEY!

If crawling back from a Stockwood meeting at 1am only to have to get up at 7 this morning, and having to get up at 5am for regular meetings two hours away on Saturdays, and having to get up STUPID early every weekend morning from summer through fall to work my sixth and seventh day of the week in often appalling (if aesthetically appealling!) conditions, and having to deal with raging cows and morons while I'm there, and having my heart-- well, YOU know-- and doing it all for mediocre pay and no benefits: if all that hasn't dampened MY enthusiasm for the life of a Faire Maid, well, baby, you have no excuse!

Meg Hille
01-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Wow! SO many ideas about what to do off season in my head after reading all this! I guess I'm just one of those people who can't get enough Renaissance/ Medieval/ fantasy stuff! :) So far this winter, I've finished sewing two gowns, three complete "wenchy" style outfits, and I've FINALLY figured out how to starch a neck ruff! (yay for me! :D )I'm SUCH an addict!!!
Last night was a huge masqurade party at my house; I was so glad to see so many of my friends dressed in garb instead of halloween-ish costumes! :D Things did get pretty roudy toward the end of the night. I guess I shouldn't be suprised! Put my husband in some big ole boots and let him carry a sword, and it's only a matter of time before a crowd gathers to watch him cross swords with someone. :roll: boys.
I think I just realized how far gone my husband and I are when someone at the party mentioned how "medieval" our house looked. I suppose the claymore hanging above the fireplace and the wall torches can do that to a place. :thinking: I'm just glad I've got a shoebox sized house. Decorating a big place like that would cost a bundle and a half!

Bonnie
01-11-2003, 10:14 AM
working on my house still, but I faux finished the walls with an antiquing glaze downstairs and now they look like antique parchment paper...I have a suit of armor (fake, of course) standing at the top of the stairs, against a rich red wall, dead vines crawl all along the ceiling of my downstairs...but I really need more of them to make the look work right. Oil lamps hang on the walls, and sconces and candles are EVERYWHERE....but still not enough to make it quite right, yet. My bedroom is charcoal gray with red sheets and red candles, big poster bed, and heavy curtains on two walls...Basically, I'm going for a medieval/ rennie/ fantasy setting...lots of different elements to combine into a look that screams "Bonnie lives here!!"

Of course, I've only been a home owner for about a year and a half now, so I'm still working on all of it.

Meg Hille
01-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Jeez! Someone with the same decorationg style as me!! Your home sounds lovely! I had thought about putting planty types things on my ceiling and walls, but we've got spider issues to deal with. BIG, hairy, scream when you see them spiders :yuck:
Until we get the spider population down, I can't put anything in my house that would encourage them to come indoors. I think that's just about the only thing I like about winter- No Bugs!! :D

jillian
01-12-2003, 07:56 AM
So, has anyone else got the "clean the house" heebie jeebies lately? Yesterday I just *had* to get rid of junk that has been slowly accumulating around me since I moved to NY from TX last spring. I did not stop until I had EIGHT full garbage bags (and a BIG ol' pile of stuff to put on eBay.)
Speaking of eBay, I'm about to post some ren faire gillies I bought at Scarborough Faire last summer. I'm a size 11 (yeah yeah, Bigfoot lives! har har har... :D )

Pamela, Strawberry Tart
01-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Speaking of eBay, I'm about to post some ren faire gillies I bought at Scarborough Faire last summer. I'm a size 11 (yeah yeah, Bigfoot lives! har har har... :D )

Not that bigfooted... another size 11 here. Post me a link to it and I'll check them out.

jillian
01-12-2003, 03:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1065&item=2803986866&rd=1

Here they are. If you, or any other wench, win the shoes, shipping's free. Just let me know at the end of the auction.
Also, with just about every auction I do, I include a few little odds and ends - like a pouch and some charms and stuff to hang off your bodice laces.

This little guy just cracks me up: :augh:

Cheers!
-Jillian

lauradake
01-14-2003, 02:57 PM
but I really felt better once I had it up. A Pooh poo room. ;) LMAO!

Tee hee! I have one of those, too! :)

sunnidae
01-14-2003, 03:24 PM
but I really felt better once I had it up. A Pooh poo room. ;) LMAO!

Tee hee! I have one of those, too! :)

Me too!! :D :bath:

cyd
01-14-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning the sewing room, along with getting some long-ago projects completed. I made it a whole year without purchasing fabric (for me--I can't help it if I have to buy some for these commission pieces!) and am now looking forward to planning and purchasing to flesh out a middles or nobles outfit.

I'm also keeping my head above water at work. That takes up most of my time. :(

Oh, and I'm going to finish this $#^$%&@$ bathroom rennovation that we started last April...We need that second (really the main) bathroom back...

just Lori

You and me both, hon... Not that I've made it a year without a fabric purchase, but the sewing room needs some major cleaning... I'm trying at least.

I suddenly went ape right before christmas and cleaned out half the garage... I was sooooo SICK of not being able to walk in there! (I'll freely admit, I've got a lot of stuff in there. However, every time Joe brings something home, it goes into the garage. To the point where you can hardly walk. And then I get nitted at because the garage has too much stuff? *smirk*)

And we're looking to do a new bathroom up in the next year or two... *sigh* Yeah, I'll be going through that, too.

Cyd (I need to finish organizing the craft room. THEN I can work on all of this...)

'Nise
01-14-2003, 06:09 PM
This winter I plan and create more stock for my booths this next year. Plus I have winter craft shows to augment the season. They ended in Nov, so I've been reorginizing and doing catch up w/ paperwork and stuff. I sew a lot, just finished a cyclas for my fiance for solstice. Practice psaltry, paino and my wind instruments ( do you know any wind player tha has just one type of flute, pipe, recorder etc etc etc.)
I tend to wear my garb around the house, nothing is warmer then my wool dress and underskirt! It keeps me from turning the heat up 8) I used to LARP year round in a medeval boffer weapon RPG, and at this point I have garb, in varying periods and classes, enough to fill an closet and then some. :wink:

Love
'Nise

Wench #2213
WWW #16

Leela
01-17-2003, 06:39 AM
Well,

I have a yearly bout of hibernation. I crawl into my studio and sleep/read/clean/do laundry/distract myself on the web/play RPG games on the PS2 and generally do everything but my work. Then I get inspired by some random thing and go back to the easel/drawing board, work 'till I can't see, then the whole thing starts over again!

I have daydreams of changing careers, starting yet another new project (while there are still a stack of "unfinisheds" plagueing me)! There are new paintings to flesh out, a couple websites to design, photos of my artwork to take, garb to create, sewing machine to fix, glasses to buy, dentist to placate, foot arches to soothe, yoga classes to find, pre-mortgage approval to go through, driver's license to take care of, etc. etc. etc. :faint:

I think I'll go back to bed now. :yawn:

:zzz:

Wake me for Stockwood...

Lady Gaea
01-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I'm trying to fight the urge to hibernate. At least work (multiple works) are keeping me busy.

I work my day job, as a secretary at a hospital, so that takes up 8 hours a day plus commute time. Not a great job, but I work for 2 really awesome docs and 2 really awesome nurses, so that usually makes up for the severe lack of appreciation from management.

College just started again, and I work in the ceramics lab at night. I make all the clay and run the kilns and help the students, when I'm not trying to make my stuff for faire. I'm getting frantic already. There's only 99 days until Stockwood. Yep, I counted.

Then, I'm the colorguard director for my best friend's marching band. We have rehearsals on and off starting in January to get ready for serious rehearsal in the spring. We start rehearsing 3 times a week as soon as the school musical is done, since half the kids are in the musical and can't rehearse much sooner than that.

Oh, and I'm the choreographer for the musical (same school, same best friend is directing it) and we're doing the high school version of Les Miserables. It should be awesome. We're really excited.

And, on top of that, I play in a local wind ensemble. Beware of the bassoon player! (that's me.)

And, on top of that, at the end of the month, I'm moving into my own apartment, and getting away from the icky husband. Not going to be easy, but it's a very necessary thing. So, I'm also going to be getting seriously poor, because I need to completely furnish it. But, I'll be making my living room a Harry Potter haven (because I am that silly) and doing my bedroom in moons and stars (because it will make me happy.)

How's that? I'm really looking forward to faire season, tho. I think this year could really be a new start for me. I have so many hopes....if I can just stay positive....

Heather

Bean
01-17-2003, 04:42 PM
I have bravely decided to start sewing!! I got a link from Bonnie for easy gored skirts and chemises, I may even make some bloomers!! :bananada: (I love that freakin' banana!!)

I am also counting down to Stockwood, it's the first faire on the schedule for the year. I am going to look at tents tomorrow so I can camp out this summer during faire weekends. Lots cheaper that hotelling it.

I, like others here, have started to clean out the accumulated junk, and am putting some of it up on ebay. Hoping to make $500 by June....
SHAMLESS PLUG: my user ID is cuse_fan1983, so if you see anything you like, free shipping to all wenches. END SHAMLESS PLUG

Betsy :D

Leela
01-17-2003, 05:09 PM
And, on top of that, I play in a local wind ensemble. Beware of the bassoon player! (that's me.)

And, on top of that, at the end of the month, I'm moving into my own apartment, and getting away from the icky husband. Not going to be easy, but it's a very necessary thing. So, I'm also going to be getting seriously poor, because I need to completely furnish it. But, I'll be making my living room a Harry Potter haven (because I am that silly) and doing my bedroom in moons and stars (because it will make me happy.)

How's that? I'm really looking forward to faire season, tho. I think this year could really be a new start for me. I have so many hopes....if I can just stay positive....

Heather

Greetings, most excellent creator of all things ceramic!

Hat's off to you for taking up the bassoon! I've always looked upon it as one of the most difficult wind instruments (right beside the oboe) I don't have the chops for wind (TMJ :mmph: ), so the 'cello's my love. Haven't looked locally to see about groups though. Like you, no time!

Focusing is the key, one moment at a time, and take a break every now and then to smell the roses :zen:

Cheers,

Nevada
01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Less than 90 days to Scarby here...borrowed sis in laws sewing machine..no manual of course ::whimper:: skirts and shirts no prob but have never boned a bodice in my life...any advice

Bonnie
01-17-2003, 06:02 PM
one day, I will get up the nerve to try making my own bodices and corsets...and then the world will tremble! :stunned: :earth: :shock:

Ysobelle
01-17-2003, 07:07 PM
You guys need any help with the sewing thing-- especially corsets-- let me know. Actually, there are a ton of people around who can answer questions.

We're here for ya!

AnkleGoddess
01-17-2003, 10:46 PM
bonnie,

Can you post those sewing links again??

Bean
01-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Laurel:

It's under garb goodies on the sewing newbie thread. Tnagles Web Garb is the site.

Betsy

padmaclynne
12-31-2005, 03:32 AM
Well, if you are in the NJ-NY-PA area, you could go to <a href=http://www.wickedfaire.com>Jeff Mach's Wicked Winter Renaissance Faire.</a>

It's an adults only event, a bit darker than an average faire. Voltaire will be headlining the entertainment, but there will be a lot of other great performances, including a production of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged.

It will give you a chance to wear garb and have a great time with other rennies, without waiting until summer.

I hope to see many wenches in attendance!