PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Path People

Lucy
08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Hey is everyone okay???? Please check in if you live in the path ok?

*hugglez*
Lucy

Jeannie Fitzgerald
08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
It may be a while before we hear anything. Those folks there took a serious clobbering which means many won't have homes to go back to. Many (if not most) of those who do won't have utilities for quite some time. Even cell phone will be useless. Mostly, all we can do for now is pray, send out good vibes, cross fingers, etc.

Lady Laurel
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Apparantly it is going to be one off the biggest nautural disasters in the country. I am in Shreveport LA and the city is full off people from New Orleans and other small towns. We have churches , colleges you name it full off people. My sister is going to Alexandria LA Monday. She is a state worker and they are on voluntary basis to help in Evacuation areas. She is working at one off the places for two twelve hour shifts. No one has any idea off when these people are going to go home. Lake Ponchtraine is still spilling over the broken levees into New Orleans and it is continues to flood.

Eric McTavish
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I hate to say it but it looks like New Orleans is going to sink. It is below sea level and now that over 80% is flooded they believe that the capulary action for the water will draw up the ground water and bring it all to sea level...

The other big problem... where are the graves located in New Orleans? Thats right above ground... the water is becoming horrably foul.

Lady Laurel
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
The other big problem... where are the graves located in New Orleans? Thats right above ground... the water is becoming horrably foul.

I heard someone say last night that that is going to be a real problem also there are recent dead bodies floating around but have not been recovered. Yeah New Orleans will never recover from this its unbelievable horrible. I just keep thinking all these people in evacuation centers may not have homes to go back to. It just really hits home here when you have family in south Louisiana and wherever you go you meet people from there staying here. In WalMart yesterday I talked to a man who said his office was completely wiped out and had no idea about his home.

Rose N. Crantz
08-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Our prayers are with you, guys...hang in there. Hopefully it will dry up and you can rebuild....

Mylilpinkpig
08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Any one have any ideas on what we can do to help these people?

Lady Laurel
08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
www.redcross.org

Lady Sarah
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I hate to say it but it looks like New Orleans is going to sink. It is below sea level and now that over 80% is flooded they believe that the capulary action for the water will draw up the ground water and bring it all to sea level...

I heard someone say last night that that is going to be a real problem also there are recent dead bodies floating around but have not been recovered. Yeah New Orleans will never recover from this its unbelievable horrible...

it breaks my heart to think of the history and architecture that will be lost if NO sinks. As harsh as it sounds, people can move their belongings (what's left) and their families and start over again - but the history of the city will be lost.

Ysobelle
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Any one have any ideas on what we can do to help these people?

Red Cross!

Ferret
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Wal mart, Lowes Home Improvement and (i think) Office Depot/Max are taking donations... I belkieve Lowes is matching too, up too 1 million. Whatever you do, dont donate to anything that emails you asking for one! I already got one bogus email about it...

Mylilpinkpig
08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
The humane society is also asking for donations www.hsus.org and also habitat for humanity in New Orleans, www.habitat-nola.org.

Lady Laurel
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
At the evacuation centers here in Shreveport they have kennels set up for animals people bring in. We have had several area vets giving free services and vaccination to peoples animals. Its actually kinda funny to see it on the new in the morning all these people outside with thier animals walking them and etc.

Morgana
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
I can't imagine what it's like , a hurricane . We don't have them here but I see the devisation on CNN . It must be terrible to live in an area that is constantly under attack by the weather .
Sending good vibes to all those that live there !

Angel_of_Fire
08-30-2005, 05:52 PM
two people committed suicide in the bowl thingy cuz they have nothing! the gov said they need to evacuate because the levy broke and its flooding the city. man oh man everyone is in my prayers and i will go light a candle for those people!

Mylilpinkpig
08-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Makes you stop and think how lucky you are when your family is safe and you have a home to go home to.

Buxom Wench
08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I've already donated to the Red Cross. It just doesn't seem like its enough. I feel like I should DO something.

For now, I'm praying and hoping for the best.

Much & many blessings and prayers being sent to our neighbors in the south.

Lady Laurel
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
They keep pouring into the city. We have opened more churches and now the hirsh collisium and Bossier City across the river has now more evacuation places. Luckily Houston will be getting the refugees from the Super Dome. These people have nothing no money, no clothing, nothing. My sister will be doing volunteering down farther south in some of the evac centers I have thrown my name in the hat to help too with her. I work with a non profit organization with doctors in the area. Our offices are in the main hospital alot of the evacuated sick in NO are coming too. I cannot tell you how sad this is. I just feel sick for them all day.

Galleywench
08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
The stories have been heart wrenching. I have only read a few and can barely get through them before stopping to hold my daughter close and feel thankful she is warm, dry and here to love.
I agree with that hopless feeling of wanting to DO something to help...and the meager donation we can afford seems like nothing at all.

My prayers are with the evacuees and the people of NOLA.

Silverwind
08-31-2005, 01:11 PM
We are making a donation to the Red Cross and my company will match that as well.

In addition my Lady and I discussed that we would be willing to provide a place for fellow rennie/pagan persons to stay if they needed it. We have an extra room near our home in north Texas.

Alianne
08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
i will go light a candle for those people!

Better yet, do something that will actually *help* --

Even $5.00 donated to the Red Cross is beneficial......

Angel_of_Fire
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM

well actually i already have but thank you for trying to be so *helpful*

Actually i was refering to the people who killed themselves. im not a practicing catholic (suicide=hell) but it is the only church i go to. im sorry if that isn't *helpful* enough for you but right now thats all i can do.

Saucy Ria
08-31-2005, 07:18 PM

Dearest Leah, my friend.......you know I love ya, but I really believe that comment was pretty snarky and certainly uncalled for considering how awful things are right now. It's simply a not time for a comment like that. None of us will ever know how really helpful our prayers are to these desperate people nor can we know who is able to send 5 dollars or not.

Pray.....light candles......dance.....fast.....chant.......send money........ everything is so desperately needed.

Lady Sarah
08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
We all do what we can. The Red Cross isn't the *ONLY* organization out there. I've got my own reasons for not giving to them - mainly because I can't trust that the money I give them will GO where I intend it to go.

Renee is a student and I know for a fact her funds are so tight they squeak. Lighting candles and saying prayers *IS* what she can do at the moment. At least she's doing something - which is more than I can say for the rest of the world outside of the US International Boundary.

Besides, I know that 13, as a Local, is working on something to do for the victims and survivors. I have no doubt that Renee will pitch in with everything she can.

Mylilpinkpig
08-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Alot of people don't have funds to spare. I am sure prayers and good thoughts are greatly appreciated by those suffering.

MacKahlia
08-31-2005, 08:14 PM
My heart is just breaking. Red Cross is taking volunteers... and I already ahve a lot of the necessary training... but I dont have the ability to pick up and leave currently... its a long story, and not near as desperate as those in LA...

I too am going to be donating, lighting candles and praying...

Local 9, what are we going to be doing??? We have lots of support... we should do SOMETHING... I'm pretty sure we could get help!

Ysobelle
08-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a call in to Chuck, and we have to get some donation jars for all the Local 9 Wench-run booths. Do you know where we can get any?

MaidenFaeSnow
09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
At least she's doing something - which is more than I can say for the rest of the world outside of the US International Boundary.

That's what my husband and I were talking about last night. If this happened somewhere else, that country would already be innundated with US troops and supplies assisting in every way possible. HELLO????? Yeah.....there's no one coming....

The only ones I would think would even consider making an effort would be Britain (tiny little country in comparison), and they are trying to cope with their bombings at the moment.

If anyone thinks their small donation, if even $1.00, doesn't feel like much, just think about how much that dollar really is when it is put together with my dollar, and someone else's dollar, and so forth. It add's up fast and it that dollar really IS a lot of money.

Did anyone read the thread about the boy who was stabbed many times by his father and his prayer and faith got him through it? He called 911 and lived through his ordeal. Faith is very powerful, even in small doses. One small prayer, the same as a dollar...

I think you are all amazing people. I'm proud to be a part of this community. And I'm glad that I could help with my small donation. I know it is really part of a larger picture.

Eric McTavish
09-01-2005, 08:49 AM
At least she's doing something - which is more than I can say for the rest of the world outside of the US International Boundary.

That's what my husband and I were talking about last night. If this happened somewhere else, that country would already be innundated with US troops and supplies assisting in every way possible. HELLO????? Yeah.....there's no one coming....

Actualy...the Laeder of Vensuellia (sp?) You know the guy Pat Roberts want the US Gov. to "take out" has offered food, water and cheep oil/gas... so thats one nation... I wonder where the help from Europe is... do you think any other countries will send us aid? :roll:

Lady Sarah
09-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Actualy...the Laeder of Vensuellia (sp?) You know the guy Pat Roberts want the US Gov. to "take out" has offered food, water and cheep oil/gas... so thats one nation... I wonder where the help from Europe is... do you think any other countries will send us aid? :roll:

Leader of Venezuela, for future reference dear. ;) and I'll bet Pat Robertson is eating a healthy plate of embarrassment right now.

and I thought it *terribly* charming of Queen Elizabeth to send her condolences on the unfortunate devastation. :roll: Makes what happened sound like a plane crashed into an empty field.

:sigh: I understand that England is still cleaning up and dealing with the London Bombings a few months ago, but didn't we send help? I might be mistaken, but I'd swear we sent help, or at least offered help. I KNOW we did more than send our condolences on the tragedy.

Sometimes it sucks being US - the free-est nation in the world, the ones who help everyone else at the cost of helping ourselves.

Pathos
09-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Sometimes it sucks being US - the free-est nation in the world, the ones who help everyone else at the cost of helping ourselves.
It's an unfortunate fact in this world that it's NOT America's job to police the world but it IS America's job to do things like...solve hunger in Africa.

Alianne
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM

Dearest Leah, my friend.......you know I love ya, but I really believe that comment was pretty snarky and certainly uncalled for considering how awful things are right now. It's simply a not time for a comment like that. None of us will ever know how really helpful our prayers are to these desperate people nor can we know who is able to send 5 dollars or not.

Pray.....light candles......dance.....fast.....chant.......send money........ everything is so desperately needed.

I wasn't being snarky. I was being *practical*.

Yes, prayers are nice...but they're not going to feed or house anyone.

That's all I'm saying.

MaidenFaeSnow
09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, practicality has also been stripped from thousands of people as far as I can see and all they have left are hope and prayers. So, as they wade through murkey water, with really nowhere to go, to call home, prayer IS practical...because that is what they are currently hanging onto.

Far be it for me, or anyone else for that matter, to belittle it or diminish it's necessity.

renstyles
09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Other countries are now offering assistance.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl090105usgetshelp.16cbe69d.html

MacKahlia
09-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Just cause I'm frustrated...
a tsunmi hit and in three days we had world wide support and help and people IN the countries handing out water.
a hurricane hits in the richest country in the world and the poorest members of it are left to drown and die in the heat...
Why isnt more being actually done? these people can not wait for another day or two... its been 4. they have no water. no food. there are dead bodies left sitting in the heat next to those who are still alive. Where is the Army? the National Guard? I know they are trying, they've deployed troops... but there are so many more... these people think we have forgotten them and are letting them die because NOTHING is getting done. ...

I wish I could pack up and drive down there right now --- anyone else frustrated beyond belief? :wah:

Lady Laurel
09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Actually i was refering to the people who killed themselves. im not a practicing catholic (suicide=hell) but it is the only church i go to. im sorry if that isn't *helpful* enough for you but right now thats all i can do.

Every prayer you say is doing something. Don't underestimate the power of faith.
Yes, I have been frustrated all day. I work with a non profit society of doctors in Louisiana. We have been trying to get the word and faxes out all day for help. The doctors are responding. I have just seen and heard so much about the refugees. The lack of medicine and death that is happening. I just feel emotionally sick about all off it.

Kae
09-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Laurel,

You are closer than we are. Is there anything we can do to provide immediate help? We are looking into some possibilities for the long term, but would really like to do something now. Many of us don't have a lot of money to donate, but what else is there?
Kae

Lady Laurel
09-01-2005, 08:28 PM
To be honest I don't know. There has been so many positive things people here have done in the community. We have heard so many stories of hope and sadness. I think all that can be done here has been done. I do agree with Sarah on one thing Red Cross is not the only organization to give to. What Constance is doing in Houston is awsome I wish I could be there to help her. Check local shelter that you have heard that are taking people in see if they need blow up mattress, diapers, etc.......
I would check and see where they are going in San Antonio and see if anything you can do there. If it has nothing to do with the Red Cross you have a better chance of actually getting in there and helping hands on.

I am sorry I sound so negative I am trying very hard to be upbeat. Its just hard when you hear so much sadness around you. I truly believe New Orleans will somehow rise out off this. If not the city the people that are from there.

Leela
09-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Just cause I'm frustrated...
a tsunmi hit and in three days we had world wide support and help and people IN the countries handing out water.
a hurricane hits in the richest country in the world and the poorest members of it are left to drown and die in the heat...
Why isnt more being actually done? these people can not wait for another day or two... its been 4. they have no water. no food. there are dead bodies left sitting in the heat next to those who are still alive. Where is the Army? the National Guard? I know they are trying, they've deployed troops... but there are so many more... these people think we have forgotten them and are letting them die because NOTHING is getting done. ...

I wish I could pack up and drive down there right now --- anyone else frustrated beyond belief? :wah:

Yes. The hospitals down there that can't evacuate their patients because the helicopters sent to get them out were driven away by SNIPER FIRE. Anarchy lives.