PDA

View Full Version : Gored Skirt Hems

Caitriona
05-29-2003, 07:27 PM
I just made my first 2 gored skirts. One was 100" and the other 160". I had help with pinning the hems (Thanks Betty), but found that yes, everyone was right, they aren't even.

What does everyone do with all the "extra" unevenness at the hem to make your hem stitch a nice straight line? Do you cut them? or do you just fold over the extra?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bonnie
05-30-2003, 02:53 AM
sweetie, I just mark where the fold of the hem should be...you know, the spot you want the skirt to END at, and then I fold it over, press it, pin it, try it on to make sure the hem is going to be even if sewn exactly as pinned. The I take the skirt off, turn it inside out, measure UP the excess material about an inch (which is what you'll need to fold into a hem), then cut away all the excess. All those odd points will be gone, and you'll have a nice neat edge to hem. Another thing you could do is use bias tape to hem the trimmed edge, which would give you a nifty contrasting hem. I'm planning on doing that on my next skirt. I hope I made sense. It's 3 am here, and I'm tired.

Caitriona
05-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Bonnie - Thanks, that was exactly what I needed.

Bonnie
05-30-2003, 12:52 PM
You're quite welcome. I'm just surprised, and pleased I was actually able to help someone with a sewing project! Good luck finishing up, and enjoy your new creation.

Now I just got to get to the fabric stores for bargain wools and linens. Le sighe. (my version of French) Like I need any more skirts...or chemises. Well, a couple more, maybe.

I do want to make myself some wrap pants....

Caitriona
05-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Ooo, wrap pants. Is there a pattern available?

I just bought 20 rolls of ribbon in various sizes and colors. Michaels had them on clearance for 99 cents for 5 yards.

I just learned how to make chemises, so I'm truly going to have alot of matching garb this year.

I'm such a garb and fabric whore.

Mermaid
05-30-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking maybe Simplicity had a wrap pants pattern--and I think Hancock's has a pattern sale this weekend!

Mermaid

Daelyn
06-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Catriona, yes, there is a pattern. Simplicity just came out with one this season. Number 5508. I have it, but haven't tried it yet. Tell me how it works if you do?
If you have an old pair of wrap pants, you can just trace them and still get a workable pattern. ^_^

'Nise
06-02-2003, 06:14 PM
I just looked at the Simplicity pattern for wrap pants and it is totall different then the ones I've seen at faires (or make for the LARPers). Just a heads up. If you are interested in the other pattern PM me and I'll attempt to give verbal directions.
Love
'Nise