PDA

View Full Version : GRRR - Sewing Machine From Hell (Warning: Venting)

Kiza
05-30-2003, 11:25 AM
:augh:

So. I'm stage managing this show that opens this weekend. One actor can't find a single thing in the costume closet that will work for her costume and the director knows I sew. We get together, plan something fabulous and go buy fabric. She's jazzed, I'm jazzed.

I've been sewing quite a bit the past couple of weeks, my sewing machines have been tuned up and are working beautifully, everything I've put together has worked out better than I expected. Except for this dress.

How is it that the machines know when you're working on a deadline? Everything else I've made has been just because I felt like it. But when I get to putting together something with a deadline that other people are actually going to see - my serger explodes. Right in the middle of a seam. About two hours before I have to leave the house the night of our publicity shots and before I've attached the sleeves. :censored:

There is a happy ending here. The pictures were pushed back, I skipped rehearsal to play with the machine - which I still haven't entirely fixed - and I got the dress put together. The actor loves it, the director loves it and several people from our preview audience stopped me to compliment the dress. But my question here is HOW DOES THE SEWING MACHINE KNOW?!?

Grrr.

Kiza

jmthane
05-30-2003, 01:15 PM
But my question here is HOW DOES THE SEWING MACHINE KNOW?!?

<voice="Rod Serling">We present a lady with a question - a question that can only be answered in....

THE TWILIGHT ZONE."</voice> :lol:

Nevada
05-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Gremlins

Kiza
05-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Gremlins

:D I like to think that's what the cat hunted down under the table . . .

Tempest_Gypsy
05-30-2003, 07:29 PM
They know because there is a secret psychic network of machines out there. They hear you talking somewhere else and porject it to all of the other machines you might possibly encounter so they can make your life harder. It's evidince that we really are heading towards the situation in "The Matrix!"
Oh, and Kiza, I had a thought for your sig line. Everything you post about garb, sewing and the like is hysterical...because its so true. How about 'It's funny because it's true."?

moira
05-30-2003, 09:25 PM
its gonna happen to me tonight... i have to go make skirts now and my machines gonna freak...

moira

Isabelle Warwicke
05-30-2003, 11:28 PM
NONONONONONO!!! the machines cannot revolt! I am ::this:: close to finishing a whole set of garb for a friend of mine. I have been working on it for two staright days. Her first ever ( and my first shot at this style of garb.) Bodice made out of an amazing hunter green brocade, cotton chemise, satin blend underskirt and same green brocade split over-skirt with an absolutly gorgeous waistband. All I have to do is hem the two skirts and pound in the frelling grommets. If my machine goes kaputie...I will totally blame this thread. I hope my computer and sewing machine don't talk...I keep them in separate rooms.

It's hard to sew with crossed fingers.

Kiza
05-31-2003, 02:24 AM
Oh, and Kiza, I had a thought for your sig line. Everything you post about garb, sewing and the like is hysterical...because its so true. How about 'It's funny because it's true."?

Oh my gosh - I say that ALL THE TIME (to the point of annoyance, probably) and it never even occured to me to put it in the sig line. (What was I thinking?) Great idea - I'm gonna do it!

Oh, and Isabelle - I am SO SORRY that your sewing machine is going to die on you now. (Hmm. My computer and sewing machine are in the same room. Maybe that's my problem.) I take responsibility - although I'd like to blame everything crappy that's happened this week on the "Scottish play incident" that happened at the theatre last weekend. Bad, bad, bad.

Kiza

Jeannie Fitzgerald
05-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Come now, lasses, sure an everyone knows 'tis the wee leprechauns raisin' a ruction with thy machines!

I'm worried. My machine and my computer share a desk. Hmmm...they weren't that close together yesterday... ACK!

Lady Fitzgerald
The Wicked Wench of the West

Isabella
06-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Trick the machine, buy another one and taunt it. I went to the Goodwill and got a great 1980's model White Machine with all the bells and whistles for 10.00, with the manual. I was dang stoaked! Came with mucho feet!

I had an old Dressmaker sewing machine late 70's model that I was using, and as soon as I brought home the new machine, the old one started working right as rain.

So maybe, JUST maybe, you get a dud, and leave it in plain site of the old one, and it'll smarten up a bit, and stop drivin' you nuts on a deadline. ;)

Pinay

Kiza
06-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Trick the machine, buy another one and taunt it.

So maybe, JUST maybe, you get a dud, and leave it in plain site of the old one, and it'll smarten up a bit, and stop drivin' you nuts on a deadline. ;)

Pinay

Hmmm. I finally got the @#$% thing fixed on Monday night - but only AFTER I pulled my clunker of a backup out onto the table. Here I was thinking I'd finally done something right, and I guess I just scared it into behaving itself. Ah well - I'll know what to do next time. :wink:

Kiza

Isabella
06-05-2003, 10:28 PM
:D I'm glad the scare tactic work! And I'm glad the machine is finally working. Ah, if only we could all have treddle sewing machines! :)

Pinay

Sorcha Griannon
06-26-2003, 04:32 AM
[quote=~PinayWench~]Trick the machine, buy another one and taunt it.

Pinay

That ALWAYS worked with my old ford galaxie...I would threaten to turn it into scrap metal, and lo' and behold, it would start running good again. Hmmm, I think i will try that on my sewing machine.......

Sorcha

Kiji
06-27-2003, 03:39 AM
Evil wicked sewing machine!