• Site Upgrade

    As you've probably noticed, things look a little different here today. I'm still working out some of the kinks, but I've upgraded the forum and site platform to the latest version of the software we use. The upgrade was a little more painful than some previous upgrades, but I think the majority of the hard work is done.

    There were a few reasons I finally decided to shell out the money (and time) for the upgrade, not the least of which being that this version of the forums comes with a content management system that is integrated with the rest of the site. We were previously using a separate CMS that was designed to hook into our forums, but it was outdated, and the company that makes it stopped developing it. The integrated system will hopefully mean more opportunities for fresh content (not just in the forums).

    Some of the new features:

    - Integrated blogs
    - Single-sign on (similar to before, but less clunky)
    - Register using your Facebook account if you want
    - Personal photo albums
    - Good forum posts can be promoted to article status if they are valuable
    - Good blog posts can be promoted to article status if they are valuable
    - Video embedding right into posts now! Whee!
    - Whole site+blogs+forum search in one
    - Improves RSS support - every section, blog, forum category, etc has its own RSS feed so you can get updates on only what interests you.

    There's more, but I haven't slept yet, so I'm blanking on it.

    I'll have the look and feel fixed up soon, and back to something a bit more wenchy, hopefully within the week. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience. :)
    Comments 22 Comments
    1. AnnaFaerie's Avatar
      Good morning. I will try to wait without going crazy. I have to have my morning hit of the Wenches.
    1. MillieWylde's Avatar
      ...wow... definitely thought I'd typed the web address in wrong for a few moments, there. *peering around* Looks pretty good thus far, though... Now I shall commence waiting patiently.

      ... ... ... Oh heck. When I get bored, it's time to !!


      Thank you Mighty Webmistress, for all of your hard work!
    1. Lady Sarah's Avatar
      Thank you for everything you do, Snipe!

      And I've got a question for you - Do we still have the Local groups? I tried to check for membership requests this morning and couldn't find the link to the group membership page. If it's still in the kinks to be worked out, I'll wait patiently. LOL
    1. Selena's Avatar
      Just a momentary freak out when I first logged in! I like it, though.

      Thanks again, Snipe.
    1. Sorcha Griannon's Avatar
      I second the freak out:) but it looks very nice. Thanks for all your hard work.

      Sorcha
    1. webmistress's Avatar
      @Selena - heh - sorry about that :D

      @Lady Sarah - we do still have local groups, but for some reason they don't show up under groups anymore. It's very confusing. This version of the software seems to recognize two types of groups, and whichever one it is that we don't use, that's the one it thinks you want to see when you click on groups. I'm not actually sure where they moved usergroups to. :(
    1. webmistress's Avatar
      @Lady Sarah - Users can apply to join local usergroups here: http://www.wench.org/profile.php?do=editusergroups
      (They can get there by clicking on "Settings" in the top right, and then going down to "Permission groups" in the sidenav on that page.)
    1. Lady Sarah's Avatar
      Thanks Snipe!
    1. Mistress Morigianna's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
      Thanks Snipe!

      ok i feel stupid- how do you reply without quote? I just have at the bottom reply with quote and muti quote rply

      I hate the bog space with quoted replys it has added many pages to threads- look at the meanwhile thread that doubled in pages with the new message board.

      or is it just me?
    1. Lady Sarah's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Morigianna View Post
      ok i feel stupid- how do you reply without quote? I just have at the bottom reply with quote and muti quote rply

      I hate the bog space with quoted replys it has added many pages to threads- look at the meanwhile thread that doubled in pages with the new message board.

      or is it just me?
      On the left side of the screen, under the last post, you should see a large bluish button that says reply to thread.
    1. Torra's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by webmistress View Post
      @Selena - heh - sorry about that :D

      @Lady Sarah - we do still have local groups, but for some reason they don't show up under groups anymore. It's very confusing. This version of the software seems to recognize two types of groups, and whichever one it is that we don't use, that's the one it thinks you want to see when you click on groups. I'm not actually sure where they moved usergroups to. :(

      Those usergroups can be accessed under Settings, then Permission Groups.
    1. Mistress Morigianna's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
      On the left side of the screen, under the last post, you should see a large bluish button that says reply to thread.
      ok Mine is at the TOP of the page- weird
    1. MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Morigianna View Post
      ok Mine is at the TOP of the page- weird
      There's one at the top and one under the last post.
    1. RaevynCait's Avatar
      I only have the plain reply button at the top, but at the bottom there are a couple of spots where my cursor switches to the selector, though it doesn't actually tell me what the selection might be.
    1. MillieWylde's Avatar
      I was hoping to download the Little Brown Book/Songbook ...are they available on this new-looking site yet? If so, where have I been missing them? (The sticky has a link, but said link takes me straight back to the home page.) !!
    1. Lady Sarah's Avatar
      Is anyone else getting a floating "share it" banner for Facebook, Twitter and via email when they check out posts now?
    1. Selena's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
      Is anyone else getting a floating "share it" banner for Facebook, Twitter and via email when they check out posts now?
      Yeup. It's annoying. I'm on FF, too.
    1. webmistress's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
      Is anyone else getting a floating "share it" banner for Facebook, Twitter and via email when they check out posts now?
      It's the Apture toolbar. I'm sorry if you find it annoying - I find it quite helpful, as it gives you share links wherever you are on the page, and a quick link back to the homepage even if you're scrolled all the way down. Plus it keeps the site name, site search and logo visible. I've used it on several websites and people generally like it.

      You can hide it by clicking on the double-arrow on the far left of the toolbar.
    1. Lady Sarah's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by webmistress View Post
      It's the Apture toolbar. I'm sorry if you find it annoying - I find it quite helpful, as it gives you share links wherever you are on the page, and a quick link back to the homepage even if you're scrolled all the way down. Plus it keeps the site name, site search and logo visible. I've used it on several websites and people generally like it.

      You can hide it by clicking on the double-arrow on the far left of the toolbar.
      I figured it was for the keeping of the site name visible at all times. LOL And thanks for pointing out the double arrow. If I'd looked any closer, I would have noticed it.

      Thanks, Snipe!
    1. jeangordon's Avatar
      Yup still no song book available... Not even sure where to order the hard copy if I wanted to do that... sadness