+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jewish Weddings

Wily Wench GraceHardGrave will become famous soon enough GraceHardGrave's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Jewish Weddings

Okay, 13 ish years as a Witch, and before that some years bouncing between "Christian" churches (i use quotes because I don't believe that gathering in one building to compare clothing once a week qualifies you as Christian)

Anyway, Last week I was asked to be a bride's maid in a Jewish Wedding. The bride said she had to have 4.

Had to? AND why 4?

Are there any tradition/customs I'm going to need to preform that I don't know about?

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Might be for one at each corner of the chuppah. I've seen that done. Or maybe her intended has four brothers?
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Verbose Veteran Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

From Grace at Ravin Raven's Computer:

Nah, Purkey (Yes, his real name) is an only child. I'm guessing it's the first thing then.

It's funny, originally they were going to have a Pagan (legal) Handfasting. They asked me to officiate, and I spent two weeks writing a ceremony for them, and then I was told they had decided to go with a Jewish Wedding. (She is, he's not) So we'll see what happens. I'm guessing it was pressure from her family to have a "real" wedding. :P

The last couple I Officiated/Handfasted were quite happy with their Rite. Especially after planning for a month with this couple, they decided to heck with the big ceremony, they got hitched in my living room.
    Ravin' Raven
    Feisty "Bite" MacBoom - Chief Defender of the Clan - Don't Mess With My Girls "in vesta genua"

IWG# 3200 Local 9 Mount Hope Muses
    Ren-Merc #758 (that's right, Battle Bytch!)
    IFRP #1059

She of the evil overbite - AKA "Dy" - so sayeth MFS
    Oh Holy SnorglePod! Youse so fukkin hawt! - so sayeth Phee
    "'tis the kissing bridge, not the birthing bridge!!!" so sayeth the Sheriff

Fire Dragon to the Water Dragon - The joining of water and fire does not quench the fire, it warms the water.

Power is the ability not to have to please

Gifted with Gab wendyzski is on a distinguished road wendyzski's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My brother and I were raised Roman Catholic. Now I'm pagan and he is vaguely Christian and his wife of one year is Jewish. I did a reading at the wedding, which was a combination of everyone's traditions.

Jewish weddings take place under a canopy, so there may be the issue of who holds it. (They didn't do that, so each only had one attendant. Also, traditionally the bride and groom are raised on chairs during a dance at the reception, so that may be why they want four. Try not to bonk her on the ceiling! ;)

One realy neat thing Jewish thing that my brother and his wife did - I forget what the name of it is, but they make sure to take a moment after the ceremony to take their first food and drink as a couple. John and Melissa shared a glas of their favorite wine and the same dessert they had on their first date. I think it also makes a nice break from all the chaos taking place around them - reminds them of what they are really here for.

If she is close enough to you to want you in her wedding, you should be able to say "look, I wasn't raised in these traditions but I care about you and don't want to do something stupid. Can you tell me about what you are doing, where it comes from, and what you need me to do?"

You'll be fine!

Member of Local 9 Madame Chatterbox Alianne is on a distinguished road Alianne's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ysobelle
    Might be for one at each corner of the chuppah. I've seen that done. Or maybe her intended has four brothers?
    That's the only thing I can think of, too. (Bridesmaids, as a rule, don't help hold the chairs at the reception, if that's even done). I had 3 honor attendants at my wedding, but our chuppah was on mounted poles, not hand-held. My sister's was hand held, so she did have 4 attendants (8 total), and only the men held the poles.
    Alianne
    MCL #860
    REAP #11
    GarbWhore #49
    Jaded Snarky Bitch #2
    Mom of the Bodice Demi-God, He Who Laces Bodices Well & Older Brother Rogue
    Juliette MacCoy, Friendly Cruise Director of the HMS Wayward Pilgrim
    ODK Regional Keeper Emeritus
    "I feel the need, the need for mead!"

"Watch the Wench Car, please!"
    ____
    In memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03