+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faire Jobs

Member of Local 35 Forum Freak Mistress Tafra is on a distinguished road Mistress Tafra's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Faire Jobs

For the first time ever, I live near a faire site. I have always wanted to have a job at faire, be a part of it for real, you know? This is the only guild I belong to, and so far it has only been an online thing. I have my own garb, a weak accent that can only improve , and of course my desire. My dilemma is what is the best job for me? I want to be able to enjoy the faire, not just work the whole time. I want to be a part of. I don't even need pay, just the experience. I'm willing and able, what more do I need?

What are some good faire jobs? What have you enjoyed?

Verbose Veteran WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Faire Jobs

Go up to the site on weekends before faire opens, talk to people, get a feel for what you want to do. Perhaps this isn't the year you should work, you might want to attend as a playtron and talk to people during the season. Most faires have a strict dress code that you must keep to regarding colors, fabrics and all that stuff. That's if you work for the faire itself as anything from groundskeeper to alekeep.

There's also all the shops and booths and whatnot that you can work for. There's so much diversity there that it's really a matter of what you like and can sell and what you can't. There's so many different jobs that you can do at a faire, that it's hard to decide what's right, especially first year out.

Maybe try volunteering your time for a set amount of hours?

Personally, working faire has never been my favorite thing to do, I prefer to be a playtron, but as things are turning out this year, I'll probably be working. Although, I'm determined to make it fun for me.
    Move along, nothing to see here...

Member of Local 35 Forum Freak Mistress Tafra is on a distinguished road Mistress Tafra's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WenchLadyKate View Post
    Personally, working faire has never been my favorite thing to do, I prefer to be a playtron....
    A playtron?
    Um...can't say I know exactly what that is. I'm guessing a patron who plays?
    I want to get to know the people...

Verbose Veteran WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate has a spectacular aura about WenchLadyKate's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Tafra View Post
    A playtron?
    Um...can't say I know exactly what that is. I'm guessing a patron who plays?
    I want to get to know the people...
    You got it, girl! If you want to get to know the people, going as a playtron is probably your best bet. You can wander freely and not be chained to a booth. I hate that feeling. Everyone out there having fun, but I'm here lacing corsets until I have to wrap my fingers in duct tape to keep them from bleeding.

My advice is to volunteer or find a job at faire with a vendor that will allow you to work etiher one day per weekend or a few hours each day. It'll give you the best of both worlds.
    Move along, nothing to see here...

Needs a Hobby LadyLaura is on a distinguished road LadyLaura's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I second that! You can't really meet too many people chained to a booth! Volunteering for a certain number of hours or working only Saturdays and playing on Sundays would be a much better option. Otherwise, you most likely won't get to see a thing at the faire but the inside of the booth or whatever it is you're working at (unless there's a day when it's a total downpour--lol). If that's O.K. with you, then go for it, but it can be pretty brutal. I don't mind working a booth as much now because I know so many people at faire that they come and visit me when I'm working, and I've been going to faire so long that I don't usually mind missing the shows. But it does make for some long, tiring days.

What you get out of it also depends on your personality. The more outgoing you are, the more people you will meet, and you will just find yourself getting drawn into things... I have volunteered at a faire for the same amount of time with people who are much shyer than I am, and they can't figure out why I know EVERYONE and they know very few people. It's because I TALK to everyone! lol I guess I never listened to that "don't talk to strangers" thing.

Is the guild active at your faire? Post on here and see if you can meet up with some of the wenches in your area, that may be a good place to start meeting some people and networking...
    IWG #3335, Local 24
    NE Rennie #8
    Cougar Wench #4
    A.K.A. Iron Molly Black
    Quartermistress of The Flying Dragon
    http://ironmollyblack.renspace.com/
    19.7% FaireFolk Pure (80.3% FaireFolk Corrupt)
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce."

Wily Wench Will Knot will become famous soon enough Will Knot's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Faire Jobs

I agree with what both Kate and Lady Laura says. I started out going to Pa Ren faire in 1985. I waited to 92 before I worked for any one. I spent those 7 years talking to everyone. That year I worked part time for a vendor who only really needed a warm body to watch her shop when she went for food or to Priv. I still spent most of my days watching shows and enjoying friends. Since then I have joined the cast and as much as I love it, I miss show hopping to torment my favorite acts (rembers all the times he went to Xaviers the sword swalloers up close show to eat lunch). Before you decided to work there enjoy the faire. After a year or two of that then talk to the vendors you met with or check to see if the Faire has a web site and if they list jobs they are looking to fill. If nothing else calling the faire and asking about jobs is a option also.
    I prefer Pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats Look down on us. But Pigs treat us as Equals.

Winston Churchill

Verbose Veteran daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness is a glorious beacon of light daBaroness's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would get the phone number for the faire office and ask to speak to whomever is in charge of entertainment and/or volunteers. At KCRF there are a ton of opportunities for those who don't want to commit to 7 or 8 weekends, but who want to be more a part of the faire than being a patron or a playtron.

At KCRF we have opportunities for volunteers in our children's realm - helping kids make crafty things or supervising them playing on the themed playground equipment. We have opportunities at our front (and back) gates - greeting people, passing out programs, manning the Will Call window, the pet registration window, taking tickets, etc. Our front gaters have a great time - they dress in costume and are the first "characters" our guests have contact with - it's up to them to really set the stage for the day. They work 1/2 day shifts and can then just hang out the rest of the day - plus they get a comp ticket for free admission for every shift they work.

We also have themed weekend performer opportunities where extra people are needed to be the themed characters. Irish weekend - they need Irish folks, Pirate weekend - pirates, Scottish weekend ... well, you get the picture. The characters either support a "visiting dignitary" as a member of his/her entourage - or they may help pass out samples of food or trinkets representative of the weekend's theme - like on Italian weekend - they dress in Roman togas and pass out grapes and help with the grape-stomping contest. Doing a themed weekend character is a great way to find out if you'd be interested in signing on as a cast member - and it's a good way to get known. I know lots of performers who did just one weekend and ended up in major roles in successive years.

Each festival is different - so don't be timid to call and ask what kind of opportunities they might have that would fit your needs. But be warned - most people who volunteer get the bug - and then you're ours! mwhahahahaha

Wenchin' Since the 70s

Baroness d'Livonia, Velvette Duvet, Esther h'Ormone
    MCL #1257

There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women. ~Madeline Albright

Member of Local 34 Madame Chatterbox KissMeKate will become famous soon enough KissMeKate will become famous soon enough KissMeKate's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will has a good point too. Many shops are looking for people to work during lunch, give occasional breaks, or even just to walk in the parade. Working part time gives you the experience of being part of the Faire community, usually a place to store your things, a roof over your head in bad weather, and you still have time to wander about, meet old and new friends, and generally have a great time!

At Bristol, shops post want ads on the cork board on the outside of the "Post Office" near the main office building. Look to see if there's something similar at your faire.
    Last edited by KissMeKate; 05-30-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished...
    Kiss Me Kate
    Wench #116, MCL

Just thinking about a friend makes you want to do a happy dance, because a friend is someone who loves you in spite of your faults.
    Charles M. Schulz

Downloads
    Uploads

I will try for the part time gig with a vendor, I think. I have not had luck getting a response from the faire office, so I'll have to put myself out there and meet the vendors. Hopefully, I'll be able to hook up with some local wenches from here...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information