+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Haven't we discussed this before, here?

Member of Local 13 Verbose Veteran Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haven't we discussed this before, here?

Rant ahead---

So, I'm in the theater yesterday about to enjoy the latest Potter flick. It's an 11:45am show and we get there at 11:35, just in time to beat the church crowd. This is a pretty large place with several screens... and this screening isn't even a third full so we have many choices on seating. We pick a place to sit, and as soon as we climb up there, I see 5 women all speaking spanish amongst themselves, feet up on the chairs, and they had a toddler with a pacifier stuck in her mouth and an infant. An infant... this baby is in it's carrier, looked to be less than 7/8 months old. As soon a I see them, I immediately tell my guy we are going to sit on the other side of the theater... he's well aware of my feelings about babies in a movie theatre. (Unless it's a rated G movie, they don't belong there.) And sure enough, the first time that brat started to cry was during the scene where Trelawney was being shown the door by Umbridge.... and sure enough, that child made noises and cried at various times during the rest of the movie. I bit my tongue... but had I been sitting close to them, I probably would have quite rudely told those stupid selfish women to leave the crying kid at home.

Will someone please tell me why some people feel the need to bring an INFANT into a 2+ hour PG-13 movie? All you parents out there... what did you do with your infant/do you do if you wanted to go to the movies? Bring it? Get a sitter? Not go at all and wait for the DVD? And if you took the baby, why? I really want to know. Hell, at least with a ringing cell phone, you can turn the damned thing off!

Thoughts?

Generous Benefactor Verbose Veteran Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haven't we discussed this before, here?

My best guess is that they're hopeful that the tremendously loud sound system won't wake the pwecious bundle of joy. *snort*

I don't have an answer... I'm still mortified at my experience years ago when the first Jurassic Park came out. Millions of kids across the country lined up to see it with their parents despite the critics and the theater managers' suggesions that perhaps a certain age limit should be enforced on this particular movie. I myself waited a week to go see it for the crowds to die down, so the wod had gotten out that it was no Barney and that kids who'd seen it were terrified, quite a few had to be taken out of the theaters. I sat one row in front of a mother, father and their 4 year old son who was quiet as a lamb until the T-Rex decided to eat the lawyer. I still remember the kid's screams as mom and dad hustled him out of there.

I don't have kids, but I do have neices and a nephew and while my SIL locked her damned jaw at my refusal to take my youngest neice to see HP:OotP, she could just as well live with it. Kayleigh would be an angel and sit through it at 6 years old. Even my 4 year old nephew would sit through it just like he did with his dad during Transformers yesterday. But the content alone is what stopped me from taking Kayleigh to see it. Not only that, but she wouldn't understand it, not knowing the books or seeing the previous movies - hence she'd be asking me questions during the movie. That's not fair to the other movie goers. My personal choice? Leave the kids at home until you're certain that they A) can handle the noise level and the movie content (and sit next to an aisle in case you have to pull them out) or B) content yourself with G rated movies.

My brother and his wife didn't go to movies when their kids were babies. If it was a movie they just *had* to go see, they left the kids with babysitters. Once the kids were old enough to sit through a movie, they kept it strictly kiddie movies. It's just been within the last year that they're considering older movies - Pirates being the movie of choice for my nephew.
    Lady Sarah Grimm
    Her Grace, Lady Sarah the Edible of Giggleswick under Table

Yup. I'm a Bitch. Thankfully this isn't breaking news.

IWG #2715, Merc #649, REAP #47, SSPF #6 - The Temptress of the Six. AMOK!!
    Free Range Wench!

I... am... Fish Ninja!! (Because Yso said so!)

The Guild of St. Elizabeth I, Gloriana! - God Save the Wardrobe!
    http://armadiodellasignora.blogspot.com/

All Praise The Mighty Rack!
    "Beauty is someone you notice... Charm is someone who notices you." - fortune cookie
    There is no secret ingredient.

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Often times when you have a child, your world revolves around them to a degree and many parents don't even consider going places without them, as in - it doesn't cross their minds. They are a family and do things together. Parents with young babies may feel they don't want to leave the child with someone else, or look at it as though they brought the child into the world and it is their responsibility, not someone else's.

Whether any of those thoughts are valid or not that may be how they feel. Should life wait or stop for them until Jr. gets older? No way! However, I think they do have a responsibility to remove themselves from the venue if said baby is disturbing others and no one should feel bad for getting management to handle the situation if the parents don't.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Gifted with Gab Emma will become famous soon enough Emma's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

The same thing happened to me when I saw an evening showing on Wednesday!

We've taken Eleanor to see three movies... two right before she turned three and one a couple weeks after she turned three. The first one was Cars, she got a little bored at some points and we took her out to the lobby until she calmed down. The next one Happy Feet was for Monica's birthday so there were a lot of people, we took up almost a whole row and she quietly danced in front of us with the penguins. It was very cute and not disruptive. And then a few weeks back we took her to see Ratatouille and she pretty much sat quietly through the whole thing.

So no, we don't take her to movies if we don't think she can sit through them and if she still gets fussy then we leave the theater until she can be quiet again.

~Emma
    Sea Siren's Bath Products
    Owner and Proprietor

Wielder of the Giant Spoon (of doom).
    Stirring up trouble at all four corners of the world.

Renfaire: Where MEN are MEN and WOMEN are SMART, STRONG, SEXY and DOWNRIGHT DEADLY.

28.3% FaireFolk pure (71.7% FaireFolk corrupt).

Member of Local 13 Verbose Veteran Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena is a glorious beacon of light Selena's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
    If it was a movie they just *had* to go see, they left the kids with babysitters.
    And isn't that the best decision to make? I would say yes... not just for your children, but for the other people around.

Yaknow... so they take these kids into this movie. What makes them think it's okay to take them to this movie... I'm sure they wouldn't take them into a rated R movie with lots of sex and people's heads getting blown off! Hell, I don't even watch The Sopranos at home with my guy's 13 year old around!

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post

Yaknow... so they take these kids into this movie. What makes them think it's okay to take them to this movie...
    'She/he's too young to understand anyway so it won't matter.'
    'She/he will love it, it's Harry Potter, every kid loves Harry!'
    'I want to see it, kid will probably fall asleep anyway.'

You name it, I'm sure there's an excuse that was good enough for someone and those who are being disturbed won't agree with said excuse however legitimate it is/was to the parent.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Member of Local 24 Madame Chatterbox Jayde will become famous soon enough Jayde's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a time and place for everyone and everything, and I'm sorry but some movies are not the place for children.

Every Sunday night (unless the rogue and I are at faire) my friend Cheryl comes over and we have movie night. Well, last night "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" came on the TV. My friend informed me that someone had taken their child to see that movie in th theaters! I was like are you kidding me? I mean on TV they cut out the scene that wasn't too terribly appropriate (the "payment" he receives for getting the busty brunette's Shih Tsu back), but still, if that scene was shown in the theaters and someone brought a child to see it....*shudder*

It's people like that that irritate me They have no friggin care in the world for anyone but themselves Yeah, the baby crying during the movie may not bother them, but how about the other 20+ people who payed their $10-$20 to see the movie as well?
    Last edited by Jayde; 07-16-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    IWG 2277
    IFORP 846 ~The Gravedancer
    official pipe wench #3 (so sayeth RaevynCait)

I broke down and made one...my crafting blog...jaydewench.blogspot.com
    "If it weren't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
    Yeah, the baby crying during the movie may not bother them,
    And in all honesty, crying babies in general just grate on my ever-lasting nerves... doesn't matter where they are, but confined in a theatre when I'm trying to enjoy a movie is just too much for me.

... see, there's a reason why I chose to never, ever had kids!

Generous Benefactor Verbose Veteran Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    And isn't that the best decision to make? I would say yes... not just for your children, but for the other people around.
    It all comes down to personal choice hon. It's like our discussion about what is offensive to people. What my decision would be about kids in the theater isn't going to be someone else's. Personally, I think the ratings system on movies needs to be tightened up a bit more. If the rating is PG-13, then NO ONE under the age of 13 goes in, there should be an ID check at the ticket counter. Does that prevent underage kids from getting in? Hell no - there are ways around it. And it takes too much time to check the IDs there and at the entrance. And I'm sure someone would scream about their civil rights. But taking a baby into a PG13 movie? The person taking the tickets should have said no and the manager should have said no.

I'm very cautious about what I let my neice and nephew see. Just this weekend we had a discussion about whether or not Josh could watch Daredevil. I said no, I didn't think it was suitable for his age. Now, he's watched Pirates and all three of the Spiderman movies, his mother thinks he could have handled it. But his dad said no - he remembered a few scenes in the movie that he felt weren't appropriate for him to watch. Again, with OotP, she felt that Kayleigh could handle it. I didn't think she could. And, since I was paying for the ticket, my brother backed me up and said no, it was my decision.

Like MFS said, when you've got a kid, your world revolves around them and sometimes you don't think about anyone else. How many times have we all lamented the lack of consideration coming from other people when it comes to their kids. So, I can see a parent wanting to take their child with them. Doesn't mean I agree with it or like it.
    Lady Sarah Grimm
    Her Grace, Lady Sarah the Edible of Giggleswick under Table

Yup. I'm a Bitch. Thankfully this isn't breaking news.

IWG #2715, Merc #649, REAP #47, SSPF #6 - The Temptress of the Six. AMOK!!
    Free Range Wench!

I... am... Fish Ninja!! (Because Yso said so!)

The Guild of St. Elizabeth I, Gloriana! - God Save the Wardrobe!
    http://armadiodellasignora.blogspot.com/

All Praise The Mighty Rack!
    "Beauty is someone you notice... Charm is someone who notices you." - fortune cookie
    There is no secret ingredient.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sarah View Post
    It all comes down to personal choice hon. It's like our discussion about what is offensive to people.
    Ahh, you do have point there... I'll give you that!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information