+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Cpap machine

Forum Freak Valvatien is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to Cpap machine

HI I jsut got a cpap machine 2 days ago. I am adjusting to the quatro mask I got, I need a full face mask and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or comments about there experiance with masks.
    I breath through my mouth so they wont let me try nasal ones, although I would like to for when i fall asleep watching tv. My nose has been broken and the insurance company wont pay for a trial one because of that.

I also heard about sewing sleves and headgear padding anyone have any sewing tips on Cpap items?

thanks for any tips and or ideas.

I am also looking for inexpensive masks to try, I need a Med mask interested in Mirage, Respcare, or any other combo masks, or full face. If you have one you are willin gto let go of please let me know. you can PM me if youd like. also looking for a chin strap.

Madame Chatterbox renren will become famous soon enough renren will become famous soon enough renren's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to Cpap machine

Hi!
    I've got one too,as does my father-in-law..
    He has a chin strap,to help him literally keep his mouth shut,and breathe through his nose.
    Just an idea, although I don't know where to find one.
    Try shopping around online!
    Wench # 3783
    Local 34.5

Guppy # 32 of the Royal Order of Landsharks

Fins up!
    https://www.facebook.com/settings?ref=mb#!/renrensherm

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you I am watching Ebay and CL but thought others might have gone through the same experiance or tried several masks and still had the masks that didnt work or knew someone that might. this is a large group and being new to the grou and the cpap machine I could use some help

any one use the tube warmers yet? what do you think of them?

Again thank you for your ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads

followed links thanks

Member of Local 13 Needs a Hobby RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had mine for just over a year, and we have a love/hate relationship. Wearing it drives me nuts, but when I go more than about 2 nights without it, there's a HUGE difference in the way I feel the next day! I tend to be a mouth breather as well, when I don't have the cpap on.

My original mask was the nasal pillows:
    http://www.cpap.com/productpage/ResM...CPAP-Mask.html

I was not 'fitted' for it (the rep who brought the stuff was TERRIFIED of my cats and couldn't get out of the house fast enough), and so I just sort of had to feel my way. I had 3 pillows, and assumed that they were all the same. In order to have a good seal, I had to snug the straps up so tight that my nose hurt in the morning. I was NOT HAPPY, so I called the provider and said that mask was useless, so they sent me another one, that goes over the nose but also has the headgear
    http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resm...r-shallow.html

Again, I was not fitted for it. I was ok with it for a week or so, but it drove me nuts not to be able to read or watch tv while trying to fall asleep. Eventually, I did some more research online and discovered that the nasal pillows comes in 3 different sizes, and when I went back through my packaging and found that lo and behold, they were all 3 different sizes, not 3 of one size. I tried a different size and it made all the difference in the world! Now I'll switch back and forth between masks, the pillows will become very annoying so I'll use the other one for a few days or a week, then go back, but mostly I use the pillows.

I also learned, when I called a different DME provider (because I was VERY unhappy with the service I got from the first) that the first had NOT done what needed to be done. I SHOULD have been fitted by a respiratory therapist, and the fitting should have been a 30-45 minute process and included making sure the mask fit properly, and WITH THE MACHINE TURNED ON, as well as a full orientation to the equipment. I got, 5 minutes of "this is how to turn the machine on, connect it, and put your mask on. Read these instructions". They also called me 3 months later and tried to get me to sign up for 'required quarterly replacement' of tubing, masks, and filters, at a cost of about $150 quarterly. The DME provider I called said WHAT??? The RT that I spoke with has a cpap, and 2 cats (there are 3 in my house), told me that she changes her tubing about yearly, and filters every 9 to 12 months.

Also, on the mouth breathing thing, my nasal pillows came with a chin strap included. I only needed to use it for a few weeks before I trained myself not to open my mouth. Plus, when I've got either mask on, if my mouth is open, I whistle, because the air goes in my nose and right back out my mouth.
    Raevyn

IWG 3450
    Lady Evyl Squiggle MacGiggle
    Wench at Large #2 (So Sayeth the Countess), CW #21
    PipeWench
    b00bEnabler to the Canadian
    Sunblock Nazi
    Center of all Evil

15.1% FaireFolk pure (84.9% FaireFolk corrupt).

"My darling girl, when are you going to understand that 'normal' isn't a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ---Practical Magic
    Love is like paint,...it makes things beautiful when you spread it, ...but it will dry up if you don't use it--- Fortune Cookie

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: New to Cpap machine

Thanks so much
    the info is priceless I looked at the second mask and think that would be a good altenate.

I spent my first night with my mask so tight on my face i believe i have bruises. I did have the fitting and the hour visit. The mask i tried at the hospital killed my nose so we just grabbed a different one and fit it on adn took it home. last night I slept but they say you always need a back up mask my insureance doesnt cover that.

I appreciate your story at least i know i am not alone. i talked to a freind too they sent the machine home read the card sent the mask and a new machine home and said, its better to try and use it then not at all, it will take another month to get you in and we know you need it now. And sent her on her way.

Its a wild world out there

thanks again

Forum Newbie KyraAnne is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads

You guys inspired me...

I got a Cpap machine at the end of June and have been fighting with it for over a month. It doesn't want to stay on overnight. I went to bed last night and went looking for adjustors. (Yeah, seemed obvious to everyone but me!) I kept it on last night and woke up refreshed!! My nose is a little sore, but not nearly as bad as it was when I first got it. They did the fitting then and it was staying on. I don't know if the straps stretched or what, but it hasn't been fitting right in over a month. I've been back to being sleepy all the time and not getting restful sleep.

Yeah!! Let's see how long I can keep it on. At least I know better what to do now.
    KyraAnne

Wench# 2437

Downloads
    Uploads

congrats on a good nights sleep!
    I hope it doesnt take a month, my face is sore and every night I put the mask back on the bruses this is no fun.

The first maks made my nose sore for about 3 weeks after one nights use at the hospital, but i broke it years ago and it was never repaired so i am sure that had something to do with it. this one has less pressure on the nose and more on the forhead. and cheek bones.

thanks for the info

Member of Local 13 Needs a Hobby RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KyraAnne View Post
    You guys inspired me...

I don't know if the straps stretched or what, but it hasn't been fitting right in over a month.
    Yes, the straps do stretch with time, just like any other elastic. I have found that if I loosen them before I take the mask off, I don't have to tighten more so quickly.
    Raevyn

IWG 3450
    Lady Evyl Squiggle MacGiggle
    Wench at Large #2 (So Sayeth the Countess), CW #21
    PipeWench
    b00bEnabler to the Canadian
    Sunblock Nazi
    Center of all Evil

15.1% FaireFolk pure (84.9% FaireFolk corrupt).

"My darling girl, when are you going to understand that 'normal' isn't a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ---Practical Magic
    Love is like paint,...it makes things beautiful when you spread it, ...but it will dry up if you don't use it--- Fortune Cookie

Member of Local 77 Gifted with Gab AllieSutherland is on a distinguished road AllieSutherland's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used my CPAP for over two years now, and I honestly can't sledep without it anymore. (I wouldn't *try* to if I could; apnea is serious, and I know that it can cause death...)

I use a Respironics nasal mask with the blue gel. That is the only kind that has worked for me. I started out with a full mouth/nose respironics, but I woke myself up trying to breathe with my nose and keeping my mouth shut.
    I do just fine with a nasal mask now.

I did try the nasal pillow kind, but after two weeks, I got very painful cysts in my nose. I got bad nosebleeds, even though I use a heated humidifier attached to the CPAP.

I highly recommend getting a CPAP humidifier. Insurance will cover it, and especially in the winter, you will get nosebleeds. However, you really do need to be consistent in cleaning your mask and tubing, especially if you do use a humidifier. Mold and bacteria can grow, and you'll re-infect yourself with colds and flu.

I also use Quick Clips on the side of my headgear so that I can remove it more easily when I get up to use the bathroom.

Personally, I would only buy headgear and masks that are factory packaged, because they are such fertile germ-breeding grounds. Ask your provider if they have some trial masks that you can try out; sometimes they have extras and will give them to you. They want you to "move up" to a more expensive model if possible, and most are glad to let you try some out. of course, they are yours once you get them; they can't switch them with other patients.

Also, it sounds strange, but you may want to do some deep forehead massage after you've used the CPAP if you have a forhead pad. I now have a permanent divot of sorts where it rests. People can't see it, but I can feel the area, and it bugs me to know it's there. There's nothing I can really do, though, and it doesn't hurt.

I hope it helps you sleep better!
    IWG #2053 (MCL), Merc #743 (Battle Bytch), IFoRP #1208 (Cook aboard The Thanos), Bard #353 (Pinmistress), Pub Club (ATF) #118, LVH #95, RenGeek
    Local Madame Emeritus, Local 77 (KY/TN)
    Tully's Wenchlove
    BFOB & Broadfoot's Harem
    Queen Bee Pooh of the Boo Bees
    Sin-tillating Allie, 1/2 of the Sin Twins -- "Double the Pleasure; none of the guilt!"
    1/2 of Laverne & Shirley: Rennie Style -- Schlamiel, Schlamazel!
    Mistress of the Rennie Bus and the Power Wheelchair O' Doom
    Hell(ion) on Wheels... watch your toes! :)
    Eternal Acolyte to Ralphie Parker and Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 Shot Lightning Loader Range Model Air Rifles
    I got Rogued! 11/13/09

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information