+ Reply to Thread

Thread: phishing scam using paypal copycat emails!!

Verbose Veteran surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default phishing scam using paypal copycat emails!!

This was posted by a friend of mine from LJ, I'm reposting here because I know a lot of us use paypal for both personal and professional transactions. Please read it if you do, BUT DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS, and hopefully stay a step ahead of the phishers!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seriously just got the best phishing email ever.

it comes from services @ paypal. com ... spacing in the email addy display name just like that, which was my first tip off. compared it to past emails from [email protected] and yes- no spaces. and it was mailed by iphotocontest.com.

The replication of the activation emails of paypal is flawless. I mean, I was lazy and didn't add my bank info for a while, so I would get the emails frequently. And I would have thought this was another one if I hadn't registered. Not only was the wording similar if not exact, the layout was exactly the same as other paypal emails... right down to the stolen paypal logo image and the color of the background in the sidebars.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Activate Your Account!

Dear Member PayPal,

To complete your PayPal account, you must click the link below and enter your password on the following page to confirm your email address.
    Click here to activate your account

Your new PayPal account makes sending online payments fast, easy, and secure. With over 150 million members, it's the best way to:

* Buy from an online auction
    * Pay on a merchant website
    * Send money to anyone with an email address

Confirm your email now to make sure you can use your PayPal account the next time you make a purchase.

You can also confirm your email address by logging into your PayPal account at https://www.paypal.com/row/. Click on the "Confirm email" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: 1770-8630-3357-2002-1481

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

Copyright 1999-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Consumer advisory- PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal’s stored value
    facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
    Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

PayPal Email ID PP468

sidebar
    Protect Your Account Info
    Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https://www.paypal.com/row/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

To learn more about protecting yourself from fraud, visit the Security Center. Click "Security Center" on the bottom of any PayPal page
    Protect Your Password
    You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    And the links send you to either a redirect to https://www.paypal.com/row through a script that probably scrapes your info from the page or http://membres.lycos.fr/yousernamebl...md=_login-run/ which is a replication of the paypal site that makes me weep for the misuse of genius. Seriously- a lot of web dev involves taking the idea out of someone's head and replicating it. And this is perfect. I'm still not entirely sold on it being the fake that it is. It's too effin' good.

Moral of the story kids- BE CAREFUL! The phishermen are using better bait. when you go to paypal, safest is to never use a link, but to type it in.

I'm now going to go clear cookies and cashe. I'm not usually paranoid, but that was too freaking good.
    ...and then Buffy staked Edward.

The End.

Certifiable Rogue Wily Wench The Wizard is on a distinguished road The Wizard's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: phishing scam using paypal copycat emails!!

Whenever you get an email purporting to be from a Bank or Paypal, send an email directly to them at an email address that you KNOW is real or logon to their website directly. I got email like this from paypal and from ebay before I had accounts with either of them to an email address that I DO NOT use for such accounts.
    And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.--I Cor. 13:13

Verbose Veteran Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you EVER get an email from Paypal that really and truly is from them, it will NEVER be addressed as "Dear Paypal User" or "Dear Paypal Member" it will be addressed directly to the name you used when you signed up - ie: you real name.

If you suspect a Paypal email is fraudulent, send it to [email protected] They will let you know pretty much immediately if it is a spoof or if it is a real communication from them.
    Mistress Margaret Baynham
    The Sweete Ladye
    IWG #1656 MCL
    SSPF #10 - She Who Dives to the Murky Depths
    Garb Whore #29
    The Fabric Whisperer

At the end of the day, all you have is trust and honor. G. Tenet

Member of Local 52 Madame Chatterbox Sorcha Griannon is on a distinguished road Sorcha Griannon's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    If you EVER get an email from Paypal that really and truly is from them, it will NEVER be addressed as "Dear Paypal User" or "Dear Paypal Member" it will be addressed directly to the name you used when you signed up - ie: you real name.

If you suspect a Paypal email is fraudulent, send it to [email protected] They will let you know pretty much immediately if it is a spoof or if it is a real communication from them.
    Right. E-bay has the same thing. I'll send anything back that doesn't have my name, but even that isn't a guarentee...I got a message completely in spanish without my name that, once I sent back to ebay, proved to be legit...just ebay south america or something like that. Better safe than sorry.

Sorcha
    Sorcha Griannon-Madame Cum Laude #2524
    Lizzy's & Lily's Mommy
    PFS#1, #11 Witchy Wenchy Womyn, Bard # 383, FF#29

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~Anatole France

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information