+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a machine

Member of Local 52 Madame Chatterbox Sorcha Griannon is on a distinguished road Sorcha Griannon's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Opinions on a machine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=006
    I saw this on ebay, and decided to bid on it, cause
    1. he's local and willing to let me pick up instead of pay shipping
    2. it's an older machine that doesn't have plastic parts
    3. he says it sews through thick fabric well

Anyone know how this model runs? Any known issues? If it doesn't work out for me, I do know someone it'd be good for.

Sorcha
    Last edited by Sorcha Griannon; 11-06-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: helps to add the link, right?
    Sorcha Griannon-Madame Cum Laude #2524
    Lizzy's & Lily's Mommy
    PFS#1, #11 Witchy Wenchy Womyn, Bard # 383, FF#29

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~Anatole France

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Opinions on a machine

Well, his spelling and grammar makes the Baby Jebus cry, but for $40, go for it. If you'd had to pay shipping, I would have told you to find the nearest Goodwill. They usually have similar machines from people who either traded up or just wanted to get rid of Grandma's old machine that they didn't know how to use.

That's a good machine. I think I worked on one back inna day. Old Singers run forever. It's only the new ones that are crap.
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Gifted with Gab Laurensa has a spectacular aura about Laurensa has a spectacular aura about
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ysobelle View Post
    Well, his spelling and grammar makes the Baby Jebus cry, but for $40, go for it. If you'd had to pay shipping, I would have told you to find the nearest Goodwill. They usually have similar machines from people who either traded up or just wanted to get rid of Grandma's old machine that they didn't know how to use.

That's a good machine. I think I worked on one back inna day. Old Singers run forever. It's only the new ones that are crap.
    If you can get him to find out the serial number, I belong to a Yahoo group that is dedicated to old Singers, and I might be able to get more info for you.

I have a beautiful little Singer 99K (black, with gold decals) that I picked up, complete with cabinet and matching stool and all the accessories, for $60 in a local vintage furniture shop. I'm waiting for a new motor for it (wiring was positively destroyed) but when you turn the handwheel, you barely need one finger. It's soooo smooth and delicate feeling!

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, yum! I have a 1938 Singer in its own cabinet. Can't get it to run for love or money, alas. I should take it in somewhere again....
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Member of Local 52 Madame Chatterbox Sorcha Griannon is on a distinguished road Sorcha Griannon's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an old 30's model singer in a cabinet my hubby found in an apt he was trashing out for my boss. Looks a bit worse for wear, but the electrical works. Needs a new belt and I think it might work. I haven't had the time to take it to someone (or find said someone) who can fix it. The only local machine repair shop gave me a blank stare when I asked about Singers...they only had Pfaff and Husvarna's. He gave me the name of a friend of his about 50 miles away that might do Singers...grrrr. Someday, lol

Sorcha
    Sorcha Griannon-Madame Cum Laude #2524
    Lizzy's & Lily's Mommy
    PFS#1, #11 Witchy Wenchy Womyn, Bard # 383, FF#29

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~Anatole France

Gifted with Gab devlyn will become famous soon enough devlyn's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

The older Singer's are very good as has been stated. As long as it works as he says, you should have many good years using it. I have a very old Singer industrial (20's / 30's ) that sews like a dream, very smooth and quiet.
    Some of these machines can be more complicated to set up and get a good stitch, but after a little getting used to it time, you will likely fall in love with it.

Devlyn
    IWG #1036
    Odd Bodkin Renaissance Shop
    http://www.oddbodkin.com
    See my latest projects here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/oddbodkinrenshop

9.2% FaireFolk pure (90.8% FaireFolk corrupt)

Fist Fest Tour 2008 - Fists of Fury!

Gifted with Gab Laurensa has a spectacular aura about Laurensa has a spectacular aura about
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ysobelle View Post
    Oh, yum! I have a 1938 Singer in its own cabinet. Can't get it to run for love or money, alas. I should take it in somewhere again....

Honey, it's an old Singer. I know peeps who can teach you to fix it yourself. (That's what I intend to do with mine.) What's wrong with it?

Took my SE270D to the authorized Brother repair store, and they said it's more than likely a bearing-which can only be fixed by sending it TO Brother, and will likely cost about $200 to fix, on a machine I only paid about $400 for. I'm not pleased, oh no I'm not. $400 may not be very much for a sewing/embroidery machine, but it's a LOT of money to me.

Wily Wench Luciana is on a distinguished road Luciana's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a very old Singer from my Grandma, a pedal one, no electrical system, probably early 1920. It works absolutelly wonderful after all this years.

Madame Chatterbox Andreadoria will become famous soon enough Andreadoria will become famous soon enough Andreadoria's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

old Singers are the best...I inherited 2 from the 1950's...one made in Great Briton and the other in USA. Both work and need belts..one has a knee peddle and ornate gold work the GB one..both are in table cabinets and when I get settled hopefully in my own place in MI I will be able to start sewing again..I love those old machines
    IWG #533 --- Local 69 The finer 69'ers

LandShark #15

http://www.facebook.com/tandreadoria

I am a TRUE BLOOD Addict and cannot wait till season 5

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andreadoria View Post
    old Singers are the best...I inherited 2 from the 1950's...one made in Great Briton and the other in USA. Both work and need belts..one has a knee peddle and ornate gold work the GB one..both are in table cabinets and when I get settled hopefully in my own place in MI I will be able to start sewing again..I love those old machines
    In reading the manual for my 99K (aka Josephine), I discovered that mine was originally intended to be a hand-crank. I learned how to thread it, then tried it out, just turning the wheel by hand, and got the smoothest, prettiest little stitch you ever saw. It's verry verrry nice indeed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information