+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idiot landlords

Hybrid View

Madame Chatterbox rosefaeries will become famous soon enough rosefaeries will become famous soon enough rosefaeries's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Idiot landlords

On top of everything else that has been going on, I just find out tonight that the ** owner of the house I am renting is planning on taking my storage unit which is attached to my house, and has an entrance into my house and is one of the reasons why I rented this house to begin with, to convert it into a communal laundry facility.

No way in hell am I giving up either my laundry room or my storage room. They are some of the major reason why I rented this house to begin with. And he is sending an electrician over to look at the wiring in my storage room so he can plan the conversion. Oh and in my laundry room too. No written notice 24 hours in advance. I got 30 minutes notice from the guy across the street.

I am more than a bit pissed. And any agency I could call for information was already closed.

I so don't need this on top of everything else.
    When Irish eyes are smiling, be afraid.......Be very, very afraid. I will act as old as I feel, look as old as I am, and smile at the obvious disconnect.
    "No, no! "Rare" implies dangerously cooked. When I say rare I mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me. " Wolf The 10th Kingdom

Verbose Veteran Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Idiot landlords

If he is converting a storage room that has access into your house into a communal area, he had better do something about that door or I would take him to court. He needs to ensure that nobody has access to your apartment through that door.
    Bean, the last brunette of the herd
    IWG #2158
    Acting Madame of Vice
    PA Local 9 3/4 (taking over the world, one faire at a time)
    REAP #35
    GWT #27
    Bodice set on stun
    Keeper of the pygmies
    The wandering wench

Member of Local 24 Madame Chatterbox Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at your lease. Is the storage area included? What about the laundry room? If one or both are he can't do that without a new lease.
    Wench #3559
    aka the Bionic Wench
    The Good Wench of the North (thanks Speed!)

NER #34

Privateer @1286 Ship's Clerk Black Rose II
    aka Lizette "Lizzy" Argent

http://lizzyargent.blogspot.com/

Fairely Well Maid
    http://www.artfire.com/users/Fairely-Well-Maid
    [email protected]

I'm like a cat, I always land on my feet.

Member of Local 34 Verbose Veteran Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that the biggest issue is that there is an ingress to your apartment from this area? Does it lock? Will you be secure if he really does force this through?
    Isabelle Warwicke
    Panties for Peace

The Hench Wench "If you can't do something smart, do something brave"
    Madame Emeritus, Local #34, Guild of the Garter
    In Vino Veritas

alias'
    Jolie Rouge, Surgeon on the HMS Raven
    Wasabi the SOB
    Friend of Faire, Outlander, R.E.A.P, GarbWhore & Pricked Finger Society

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.

Madame Chatterbox rosefaeries will become famous soon enough rosefaeries will become famous soon enough rosefaeries's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to be doing my best to prevent this from happening.

And the door opening into the area doesn't have the greatest lock.

To be blunt about it, I really don't care if the other tenants have a laundry area or not. They knew it when they rented the place. There is a brand new laundromat in town. They can use it.

If the owner wants to make these places more appealing to tenants, insulate the damn things. Ceilings and floors. What gets me, he would get tax credits for doing this. It would be free by the time it was all said and done.

I have that room full of my handcrafts business, both supplies and inventory. Our bikes are in there. And other items. I am not giving up either area.
    When Irish eyes are smiling, be afraid.......Be very, very afraid. I will act as old as I feel, look as old as I am, and smile at the obvious disconnect.
    "No, no! "Rare" implies dangerously cooked. When I say rare I mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me. " Wolf The 10th Kingdom

Member of Local 34 Madame Chatterbox KissMeKate will become famous soon enough KissMeKate will become famous soon enough KissMeKate's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hefron View Post
    Look at your lease. Is the storage area included? What about the laundry room? If one or both are he can't do that without a new lease.
    And make sure there are no loopholes that say something like the landlord can make any "improvements" he wants.

Call the city and talk to people until you find someone who can at least tell you if what he's doing in allowed by the city. And if he hasn't filed for a permit, you can hold him up for quite a while.
    Kiss Me Kate
    Wench #116, MCL

Just thinking about a friend makes you want to do a happy dance, because a friend is someone who loves you in spite of your faults.
    Charles M. Schulz

Wily Wench shadowcat546 is an unknown quantity at this point shadowcat546's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    saw your post about a**hole landlords. I once lived in a place I found out (about 2 wks before I was leaving/lease was up) where the "handymen" of the complex used pass keys to enter empty apartments of tenants without permission. In one they broke in making it look like a burglar (yeah right) and another tenant told me they entered a girl's apartment and raped her. Once I heard that, I immediately went out and got a new front door deadbolt and installed it. Against the explicit writing in the lease. (of course I had already put the 2x4 board across the (hardly used) sliding glass door). The never said boo to me about the lock. And we too had a "must inform tenant of the handyman's need to visit apartment 24 hrs in advance" .
    I think this nasty landlord is awful. Would you be willing take it to the local "problem solver/hall of shame" department of the news in your city?
    And the others are right, call or visit the local city ordinance /city hall and explain your concerns/fears. Me, I'd put in all new locks for peace of mind.
    Best of luck with whatever comes about. Hope you stay safe.
    -Shannon

Certifiable Rogue Wily Wench The Wizard is on a distinguished road The Wizard's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat546 View Post
    Hi
    saw your post about a**hole landlords. I once lived in a place I found out (about 2 wks before I was leaving/lease was up) where the "handymen" of the complex used pass keys to enter empty apartments of tenants without permission.
    I lived in a place like that. I came home one evening and found that someone had come into my bedroom and used my A/C, VCR and TV. I went to a nearby locksmith to get a replacement deadbolt and he had exactly what I needed--a lock exactly like the ones they used but 'off the master'. And would you believe it? These turkeys had the Chutzpah to tell me that they had discovered that their master didn't work. I basically told them that since they didn't have PTE and there was no emergency they had no business even trying to get in.

BTW: These were the same people who never plowed the parking lots or shoveled the sidewalks and were so incensed at people asking for this to be done that the issued a 'not everyone can be first' notice in the winter newsletters.
    And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.--I Cor. 13:13

Verbose Veteran surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench has a spectacular aura about surlywench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KissMeKate View Post
    And make sure there are no loopholes that say something like the landlord can make any "improvements" he wants.

Call the city and talk to people until you find someone who can at least tell you if what he's doing in allowed by the city. And if he hasn't filed for a permit, you can hold him up for quite a while.
    yeah, the permit is kinda key. he has to submit for one and have it approved before he can do anything :)

and you can mention that he's not given you 24hrs notice. they like that.
    ...and then Buffy staked Edward.

The End.

Brand SPANKIN' New!Local MadameLocal Vice-MadameJusta Bot rosemeri is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    If he is converting a storage room that has access into your house into a communal area, he had better do something about that door or I would take him to court. He needs to ensure that nobody has access to your apartment through that door. visit flightserenity.co.uk
    I would prefer to move out than go to court. Of course I would fight tooth and nail to ensure the landlord doesn't move on with his plans but if all fails I would just move. I can't imagine staying in a place where I took the landlord to court and won. He might even organize a burglary into my house for revenge. check headphonepit.com
    Last edited by rosemeri; 10-02-2017 at 12:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information