+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potentially need advice fr exp moms @ Faire

Gifted with Gab Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Potentially need advice fr exp moms @ Faire

Hey all,
    So if we decide to try to bring Paul to Faire this season, I need some advice from those of you experienced mommy wenches... or is it wench mommies? hmm... Anyway, it will be later in the season, so I am assuming a cool outfit for the warm afternoon and a warm outfit for the cooler night time. We are talking about PARF in October. So, I just wanted to get a quick run down on what to bring in case there is something I wouldn't think of to bring. He has hit his "fussy" time as the doctor put it. It should pass at 6 to 8 weeks which would be the beginning to mid October. Anyway, I just thought I would ask and see if you all have any good words for me. Thanks in advance! If we don't get up there this season, I will keep the ideas and suggestions for next season!

Thanks!

Oh and I figured I would just ask on here and not PMs to the mommies I know as there are a couple of us new/soon to be new mommy wenches out there who may be interested in the answers!
    Local #9 IWG #3565

Cat MacBoom - Pet me right and you will get a proper licking... But mess with my girls and you will have to deal with my claws!

Curiosity killed the cat...
    but Satisfaction brought her back!

"You have a beautiful spirit"
    -said to me during a tough time years ago

As the Tartan Terrors would say...
    "England FOREVER... and Scotland for a wee bit longer!"

Proud member of the Scottish clan Donald

Gifted with Gab Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Potentially need advice fr exp moms @ Faire

Also curious (esp for PARF mommy wenches) light stroller vs regular stroller vs sling... security ok with baby formula and stored breast milk coming in or do we need to bring the powder (direct breast feeding didn't work out for us)? Any other things security may not be happy with or are they pretty cool with infant supplies? Sorry but this is all so new to me!

Thanks again!
    Local #9 IWG #3565

Cat MacBoom - Pet me right and you will get a proper licking... But mess with my girls and you will have to deal with my claws!

Curiosity killed the cat...
    but Satisfaction brought her back!

"You have a beautiful spirit"
    -said to me during a tough time years ago

As the Tartan Terrors would say...
    "England FOREVER... and Scotland for a wee bit longer!"

Proud member of the Scottish clan Donald

Member of Local 42 Gifted with Gab lavender r dragon is an unknown quantity at this point lavender r dragon's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

i don't know about babies....or what parf will let you bring in.

i've done faire last year at charlotte with 4yr twin boys and this year at maryland with 5year old twin boys. my suggestion on garb for boys their size - great kilts. i bought some cheap brown cotton, made two rectangles and two belts at walmart; put a plain white t-shirt and shorts on them at the house and wrap them up in the kilts when we get there...my mum even got them little racoon-like tails and little pewter mugs (with two handles each)....they don't outgrow the kilts for a couple of years and everyone thinks its cute.

i try very hard to make sure they're hydrated, so i'm thinking of buying them one of the leather/skin drinking bags...fill it up with water at the house, they can carry it over their shoulder (unlike a mug or water bottle) and i could probably fill it up at the free water at the first aid station at mdrf.

also, i don't know how strict parf is about bringing food, but goldfish or ritz crackers in a plastic bag in their pouch works well...i put grapes in my basket if i'm going to carry it, though mdrf also sells fruit now (by the boar's head)

also, b/c we don't put them on leashes, i make sure to point out (and remind them when we see one) how to tell who the security guys are (crf's wear yellow and green garb and carry a flag, mdrf's wear blue t-shirts) or if they are lost to go into a booth and tell someone. i know some people with older kids have a place to meet - you know- a friend's booth or the pub where their friends tend to hang out, things like that.

hope that helps someone

Member of Local 52 Madame Chatterbox Sorcha Griannon is on a distinguished road Sorcha Griannon's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Both my girls went to faire at about 4 months of age. Faire here can be hellish-hot, so the biggest thing to tell you is to bring layers, nothing too warm. If it's warm strip him down to a onesie (not bare skin...delicate skin and the sun, no matter how shaded you make think it is , is not good). Have a small spray bottle of water to mist the baby with. I'd go with a stroller, since it's very difficult to shade a baby in a sling, especially since it sounds like you will be out all day (and you will grow tired of carrying him...my now 7 1/2 month old is just under 15 lbs and gets heavy after a short period of time, sling or no sling). Lastly, there should be no problem bringing expressed milk or formula, even a gallon of water, in if you tell them it's for the baby. I have never had a problem at faire, Seaworld, or even Disneyland (and they are uber-strict on bringing ANYTHING into the park). IF anyone questioned the water, state that it's for the infant, who requires filters, purified water, which they can not guarentee out of their fountains. If you are unsure, call and ask.

Sorcha
    Sorcha Griannon-Madame Cum Laude #2524
    Lizzy's & Lily's Mommy
    PFS#1, #11 Witchy Wenchy Womyn, Bard # 383, FF#29

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~Anatole France

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

You won't have any problem bringing formula/milk in for him. Personally, I would bring a stroller in that he will be comfortable in all day. Not that you want to leave him in it all day but it will give you the freedom you need/want. It's certainly easy enough to get around with them.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Needs a Hobby Caitriona is on a distinguished road Caitriona's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bring the stroller and depending on which sling you have and if it's easy to stow bring that too..

Infant supplies will be fine coming in, and I agree with layers. October can be finicky at PARF temp wise. It can be really warm during the day then get unbelievably cold when the sun goes down or it can be freezing all day.
    Caitriona
    IWG#2334
    Local#9 Mount Hope Muses -Treasury Mistress/Charity Officer
    REAP #34
    IFoRP #485
    Merc #603
    Blonde Bombshell of Clan MacBoom

The person who today is here, May by tomorrow disappear - Edward Gorey

"I like to have a martini, Two at the very most, Three I'm under the table, Four I'm under my host!" - Dorothy Parker

You can make anything into sushi with a good knife - Bucky Katt

Needs a Hobby Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne's Avatar
    NYC or Southampton -- depends on the time of year
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd take the regular stroller - more room and more stability. And you can use it for a changing table. You can always stick the sling in the basket for when you want to carry him. I've never had a problem bringing formula/juice/water/snacks for Gwydion into a faire. I'm not sure if he'll be old enough to use it, but if he is, sunscreen! I agree with the layering, also. And, of course extra clothes. And you're regular diaper bag supplies - diapers, wipes, bibs, et cetera.

Two things I have found very useful when we're out are the disposable changing pads (I hated having to refold and stow the regular pad, especially if there was a diaper blow-out that got on it - ick!) and either a handful of ziplocs or a container of diaper disposal bags.
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Proud mommy of Gwydion - the cutest little monster
    and Rhiannon - the Little Princess

Pusher of the big
    red button.
    People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. -Leo J. Burke
    The Dark Side had cookies: http://www.facebook.com/jamianne

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would also look into a thin piece of cheesecloth fabric or netting to drape over the stroller. Bee's are in a nasty mood in October!
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Madame Chatterbox Adriana Rose will become famous soon enough Adriana Rose will become famous soon enough Adriana Rose's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had Little Bit at Fair when he was 2 weeks old.

So for the transport of the little guy, go with the stroller! There is a place to lay him down for naps, for Little Bit's first trip i took his blankets and made a little nest for him to lay in, and an extra reciving blanket to put over the hood for some extra shade. The huge perk with the stroller is that there is a spot to put all of your goodies!

For the water and formula, all you have to say is that it is for the baby. If they ask you.

For dressing the little guy, do it up in layers. If it gets too hot strip him down to his onesie. Just remember that if you do that put sunscreen on him or if you arent comfy with doing that watch for sunburn. I took the sunscreen route, I did not want to risk a sunburnt baby!
    Also make sure to put some desiten on the little tush, he is gonna be sweating and all that fun stuff, it just helps protect against diaper rash!

I save the plastic grocery bags for the smelly diapers and other trash.

And if you need a quite spot just ask a shop owner they are almost always happy to help a momma out!

Good gravy that was long winded but that is what I recomend for the first time Fair Mommy :D
    Wench#2801
    Local#35
    Garb Diva#58

I got Boned at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!!

Momma of the Littlest Pirate

A girl can never have too much jewelry, and too many sharp and pointies.

Some days it just isn't worth the effort to chew through the leather straps.....

Flower Floozy extrodinair!

The Vintage Hussy

Needs a Hobby Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne's Avatar
    NYC or Southampton -- depends on the time of year
    Downloads
    Uploads

One thing we learned is that there is a lot of stimulation for a little one at Faire. Be prepared to cut the day short if you think that it's becoming too much for him. Or find a quiet spot away from the crowds where he can be away from all the stimulation for a while and calm down. It may not be an issue for you - but just something that could cause him to get cranky.
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Proud mommy of Gwydion - the cutest little monster
    and Rhiannon - the Little Princess

Pusher of the big
    red button.
    People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. -Leo J. Burke
    The Dark Side had cookies: http://www.facebook.com/jamianne

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information