+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US right attacks SpongeBob video - is a vehicle for pro-gay

Madame Chatterbox Eric McTavish is on a distinguished road Eric McTavish's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default US right attacks SpongeBob video - is a vehicle for pro-gay

AAAA--WHA???
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4190699.stm
    US right attacks SpongeBob video
    US conservative groups are up in arms over a music video featuring children's TV heroes such as the cheerful cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.

Focus on the Family and other groups say the video - a remake of the Sister Sledge hit, We Are Family - is a vehicle for pro-gay propaganda.

The video's makers plan to mail it to US schools in the spring to promote tolerance and diversity.

They say the attack is based on a misunderstanding.

The video also features children's favourites like Bob the Builder, along with characters from Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.

But James Dobson, founder of right-wing Christian group Focus on the Family, singled out SpongeBob at a black-tie dinner in Washington in the run-up to President Bush's inauguration, the New York Times said.

SpongeBob - who appears on the children's cable channel Nickelodeon - is seen as an icon for adult gay men in the US, apparently because he regularly holds hands with his sidekick Patrick.

His creators deny that he is gay, but he is not the first such character to cause controversy.

In 1999 conservatives claimed handbag-carrying Teletubby Tinky Winky, an import from the UK, was a bad role-model.

'Easy lesson'

Nile Rodgers, who wrote the song and is founder of the We Are Family Foundation (WAFF) which released the new video, says it is intended to help teach children the values of co-operation and unity.

"We believe that this is the essential first step to loving thy neighbour," he said. "And the fun and exciting format makes it a lesson that's easy for children to learn."

But conservatives say it sees the video as a cunning attempt to promote homosexuality.

They point to the fact that the WAFF is linked to a pledge being promoted by some liberal groups which includes a recognition of tolerance of sexual identity.

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organisation is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," Paul Batura, a spokesman for Focus on the Family, told the New York Times.

Mr Rodgers said the groups may have confused his foundation with an unrelated organisation with a similar name that supports gay youth.

WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".
    Minion #8 The Official Kilted mascott of the the Clan of the Dancing Pickle
    l, Ceol, Bia agus Craic!
    Clan McD's Order of the Medieval Cracker
    The Frothy Topping On The Cappuccino Of Chivalry
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway."
    Thats MR. "Kissy Kissy Goo Goo Man" to you!
    My LiveJournal

Gifted with Gab Drea Beth is on a distinguished road Drea Beth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know, I don't think I've ever seen SpongeBob hold Patrick's hand. He went to the prom with Pearl Crabs... that has to count for something. And they had a whale of a good time! :)

Can't wait to have a discussion with my friend here at work who is a major Dr. Dobson fan, but who's 1 year old is mesmerized by SpongeBob. Should be a good one.
    Andrea
    IWG #1025
    Merc #400
    Privateer #676
    JADED SNARKY BRAT #2 3/4
    aka Geneva, the neutral wench
    aka The Dread Pirate Barbie... ROFLMAO
    aka Spongebob Squarewench (thanks Alianne!)
    Waywardest of the Pilgrims
    The "Den Mother of Iniquity"
    The Quiet One

Certifiable Rogue Verbose Veteran Cyranno DeBoberac is a jewel in the rough Cyranno DeBoberac is a jewel in the rough Cyranno DeBoberac is a jewel in the rough Cyranno DeBoberac is a jewel in the rough Cyranno DeBoberac's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: US right attacks SpongeBob video - is a vehicle for pro-

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organisation is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids,"
    ...and insidious manipulation and brainwashing kids is supposed to be the exclusive domain of the church!

"Cut Sarah Palin a break for saying 'refudiate'. It's just her self-defecating humor."

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just LOVED this part:
    WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Verbose Veteran Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Until a cartoon character is drawn wearing a "I am happy to be homosexual" shirt and is voiced to say "Hi kids, I am here to promote and encourage a homosexual lifestyle" will I believe that they are doing so.

Small children of both genders do hold hands. On field trips with the wee ones, espically when they are walking thru crowded areas, the kids we chaperoned were encouraged to hold hands so they would not get seperated from their 'buddy group'. Shocking, I know.

Geeze o petes! This stuff frankly amazes me sometimes...
    Mistress Margaret Baynham
    The Sweete Ladye
    IWG #1656 MCL
    SSPF #10 - She Who Dives to the Murky Depths
    Garb Whore #29
    The Fabric Whisperer

At the end of the day, all you have is trust and honor. G. Tenet

Madame Chatterbox Kae will become famous soon enough Kae will become famous soon enough Kae's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am with you on that.

I agree about increasing their medication.
    Wench Kae
    The Bearer of the Whim of Steel
    Madame cum Laude
    http://AnarqueWood.etsy.com - the store of fine woodcafted items

Member of Local 69 Madame Chatterbox Artemisia will become famous soon enough Artemisia will become famous soon enough Artemisia's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love Spongebob - but now I wonder if they had the same take on that one Teletubby.

Ya wake up in the morning and UUHHGGHH it's a wonder people actually think this way.

Personally, I think we should all be on medication, it would make the world so much more pleasant.
    Artemisia Moltabocca
    The Pocket Pirate with new Arte Tossin' action - fun for the whole shire!
    PARF puts the f-u in fun!
    The Sisterhood of the Traveling IWG T-Shirt
    Jack the Flying Monkey
    Diary of a Renaissance Seamstress
    Reiki distance healing always headed your way.

Gifted with Gab Galleywench is on a distinguished road Galleywench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like someone should live in a pineapple under the sea.
    http://www.myspace.com/queensgalley
    Because everyone has one right???

http://www.hvmayfaire.com/ The Hudson valley Mayfaire!

www.Thequeensgalley.org

Did someone feed the fish lately?
    IWG# 1848

Member of Local 69 Gifted with Gab Dedeley is on a distinguished road Dedeley's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

conservatives say it sees the video as a cunning attempt to promote homosexuality.
    Liberals might see a leettllee bit of paranoia among the ranks of the conservatives who might actually believe this.

Cyrano - you are quite right. It's only OK to brainwash kids if it's done by the church.

Why don't "these people" who look for cunning attempts at brainwashing in the smallest and most innocuous of things, spend their time more wisely working on things that everyone agrees are heinous? If we all did that, rather than looking for homosexuality in Sponge Bob, and criticizing Harry Potter for promoting witchcraft, imagine how much good work could get done.
    Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes while you're doing it.

Open up your mind . . . let your fantasies unwind.

Heaven is the place where all the dogs you have ever loved come to greet you.

Forum Freak Lug Ironjaw is an unknown quantity at this point Lug Ironjaw's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

It never amazes me how the religious right needs to 'out' various children's characters.
    First it was Bert and Ernie, then Tinky Winky, now Sponge Bob.

I miss the age where radicals and psycho-religious freaks were slapped in the mouth and told to shut the hell up. Look at the 1970's cartoons. Look at Bugs Bunny. Hell, Bugs went in drag for a lot of cartoons AND he kissed Elmer Fudd on the mouth. Yet nobody whines that Bugs Bunny is gay.

The church reall needs to step back and look at itself. In the age of re-assigning pedophile priests, anti-abortion radicals killing abortion docs because 'the murder of babies is wrong' and the antiquated and moldy views and such turning Sunday mass into a mini "beg for cash" and condemn everyone to hell session, the church has enough to do without worrying why a CARTOON CHARACTER holds hand with another cartoon character. ( Now if Patrick put his hands down the square pants, we'd have reason to worry...but it hasn't happened yet, and I think the church is just being pissy because they need something to be pissy about. )

Look at the problems of our society. I doubt that homosexual cartoon characters will bring this country down. A band of Bible-thumping Jesus Psychotics may, but not any cartoon character. And WHY haven't they bitched when the Simpsons had the gay character episode? Homer took Bart to a Gay Steel Mill and nothing was said. Smithers fantasizes about a 3/4 naked Mr Burns and nothing is said. You know why they leave the Simpsons alone? Because the Simpsons would fire back and shred the Religious Right, just like other shows like South Park and Family Guy have. FEr chrissakes, South Park has "Big Gay Al" and Mr Garrison toting around "Mr Slave" and yet the religious psychos go after a Sponge that is secure enough in his manhood that he can hold hands with his friend.

I say the Church can complain about gay cartoons when its priests stop touching kids.
    Lug Ironjaw
    Merc, Privateer, and Oompa Loompa Wrangler

- I would not have an anger management problem if homicide was legal.

\"Damn you Machiavelli! You haven\'t told me anything I already didn\'t know!\" -Stewie

- Even if the voices aren\'t real, they do have some good ideas.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information