+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does it take to thaw pipes?

Forum Freak Mistress Kath the Innkeep is an unknown quantity at this point Mistress Kath the Innkeep's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How long does it take to thaw pipes?

We left the house about 9:30 this morning to take Dad to the cardiologist...and the CAT scan...and more lab work...got home around three and found we had no water pressure. DPW was, of course, useless. And rude besides. Called a plumber and described the situation in detail (just a trickle of water, no pressure, no apparent leaks or fire engine activity outside on the street, no apparent leaks anywhere in the house/yard). Plumber said it sounded like the line was frozen and to set up a heater near the water meter and turn on at least one faucet. Did that...also went to work with a blowdryer and a heat gun, and stuffed towels under the garage door and closet next to the water meter to cut drafts. A couple of guys from the water dept. did turn up around six (I think...it was definitely dark when I stumbled up out of the basement) They looked and said it was a frozen line and to keep up what we were doing.

So it's now after midnight...I'm alternating between shutting the closet door with the heater running for about 30 minutes at a time (and praying alot, 'cuz I know that's not supposed to be particularly safe) and crawling into the closet with the blowdryer and heat gun for about 15 minutes at a time. How the heck long should this be taking??????????

Kath
    Mistress Kath the Innkeeper
    Official Reelies "Band Mom"
    "Mistress of the Cats"
    "Ren Faire Paparazzi"
    "It's not going to rain, 'cuz we're not in Tuxedo."

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Madame Chatterbox Psyche has a spectacular aura about Psyche has a spectacular aura about Psyche's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had pipes thaw in less than 30 minutes, and have had them be frozen for a week. It all depends on the situation.

I would turn all your faucets on. We found in our house, just turning on one would not do the trick. Just be sure not to put the plug in the bathtub first or turn the water on so much that you might accidentally have water overflowing when it does finally come back on (like my ex did). What a mess that was!

I hope you have running water soon.
    Introducing... Miss Conviviality...
    ~ Psyche di Stelle ~ Madame Emeritus - GARF
    Certified Personal Assassin
    ~ Nemesis - the Merc of the Beast ~ Merc #666 - # by request
    ~ Calypso la Dangereuse ~ First Mate of The Blood Moon - IFRP #696 - # by request because I am just TWISTED like that...
    Friend of Broadfoot

Amok! Amok! Amok!
    Goddess of the Dancing Pickle

Member of Local 69 Gifted with Gab Dedeley is on a distinguished road Dedeley's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it makes you feel any better, we're having the same problem with a frozen pipe. Put heat tape on the frozen part in the basement, but it appears to be frozen between the floor joists. Waiting for the tape to work, temperature to rise, and will be using the good old blowdryer today in the basement. Who says that "women's tools" are ineffective?
    Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes while you're doing it.

Open up your mind . . . let your fantasies unwind.

Heaven is the place where all the dogs you have ever loved come to greet you.

Gifted with Gab Galleywench is on a distinguished road Galleywench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kath, I cringed when I saw the thread topic....just the idea of frozen pipes! I agree with the idea of turning on not just one faucet, turn them all on. In the future when it is going to be sub zero...leave one at a trickle. My parents house, and the old place Jay and I lived in had this happen frequently. No fun!
    http://www.myspace.com/queensgalley
    Because everyone has one right???

http://www.hvmayfaire.com/ The Hudson valley Mayfaire!

www.Thequeensgalley.org

Did someone feed the fish lately?
    IWG# 1848

Gifted with Gab Mylilpinkpig is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

turn all the fawcets on, one won't work. Our frozen pipe took about a day to unfreeze.
    ~*~ M ~*~

Forum Freak Mistress Kath the Innkeep is an unknown quantity at this point Mistress Kath the Innkeep's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yay!! Running water! Came back on at 10 AM. Have I mentioned how much I love running water?

I was working on it until 2, then I just had to get some sleep. I was afraid to shut the heater in the closet when everyone was asleep on the second floor, so I pulled the heater back enough so that there was space around it. Got up at 5 for Tigger's meds...still no water. Dad likes to take a nap on the sofa (first floor) so I put the heate rback in the closet. Right about 10, I suddenly heard water spurting out of the faucets. What a WONDERFUL sound!!

So we ran around for a while flushing toilets and washing dishes and washing people, and I'm going to go run the washing machine empty in case any icky water comes out there. After we eat, we're going out for a second heater for the basement, some bottled water (JiC) and replace my supply of anti-bacterial hand stuff that I have for faires with no running water. <whew!>

Kath
    "Mistress of the Cats"
    "Ren Faire Paparazzi"

Member of Local 69 Gifted with Gab Dedeley is on a distinguished road Dedeley's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ours just unfroze as well! With a little help from a blowdryer. We were lucky, just one toilet was affected. However, it WAS my favorite toilet. You know how you get weirdley attached to one?
    Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes while you're doing it.

Open up your mind . . . let your fantasies unwind.

Heaven is the place where all the dogs you have ever loved come to greet you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let's all move to Florida...it's faire season there now!

Kath
    "Mistress of the Cats"
    "Ren Faire Paparazzi"

Wily Wench Muireadach - PirateRogue is an unknown quantity at this point Muireadach - PirateRogue's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would look into pipe insulation, like the pipes coming from your hot water tank have (or should have). The insilation will help keep the pipes from freezing.
    Psyche's Eros
    Captain of The Blood Moon
    Pirate #689 Merc #653 Rogue #1174
    ...an urban legend waiting to happen.
    Minion #1 - Clan of the Dancing Pickle

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information