+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Pope

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Pope

Found here: http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/4392136/detail.html

Bells, White Smoke Signal Newly Elected Pope

POSTED: 5:56 am EDT April 19, 2005
    UPDATED: 12:11 pm EDT April 19, 2005

There's a new leader of the 1.1 billion member Catholic church.

White smoke came from the chimney above the Sistine Chapel.

Cardinals met at the Sistine Chapel to pick the 265th pope.

Initially, it was uncertain whether it was the white smoke that would signal election of a new pope. But the ringing bells indicated that the election of a new pope has occurred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update from same source:

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany is the new pope. He will be Pope Benedict XVI.
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Madame Chatterbox biker will become famous soon enough biker's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

why don't the popes ever use their real names??? Do they really need to recycle?
    333 cause I'm only half evil
    Dont give me that kinkier then thou attitude
    It is better to be a open sinner then a false saint
    I consider a one night stand part of the catch and release program

Madame Chatterbox Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

By reading his profile on CNN. He does not sound like he is much more progressive.
    They said he was against the homsexualism and women having progressive roles in the church.
    Love, Light, and Laughter
    IWG #886
    Nefarious #7 GWT #19
    Proud to be a wench
    Owned and Loved by a Cat.....Meow

Wily Wench Magdalene is on a distinguished road Magdalene's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    why don't the popes ever use their real names??? Do they really need to recycle?
    It became a tradition when one of the popes, whose birth name was Mercury, after the Roman god, changed his to something 'more Christian'. Another pope, born Peter (traditionally, there will only be one pope by the name of Peter) changed his to not 'take glory' from St. Peter, the first pope (in Catholic tradition). It just wound up becoming the thing to do. Kinda like how most of us wenches don't use our birth names at faire.
    Magdalene
    Wench 1024/The Y1K compliant wench
    Vice Madame (CO) & Founding Member of Ch. 35
    Royal Privateer #57
    Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
    KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
    1/2 of the Comedic Courtesans
    And one of Moonie\'s Naughty Kittens

Needs a Hobby RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

They used to use their own names, but in the 7th Century a man named after a pagan god was elected Pope, and he decided to change it to something more fitting for his office. He was apparently the first Pope to assume the office under an "assumed" name. It has been tradition for the new Pope to take a new name since Gregory V in the 10th Century (I believe), but there is no rule about his. A Pope certainly could use his own name if he wanted, but the choosing of the new name is considered to be symbolic of what kind of Pope the new guy will try to be. The only name that is traditionally out of bounds is Peter. And Jesus too, I suppose. I don't think there has ever been a Pope Jesus.
    Siol na fear fearail, deas gu gath!
    Rogue #1201
    Chieftain and Laird of Clan MacHuge
    First Mate of the Stormbringer
    Revels Master of the Wild Rovers
    The Whale-Rider
    Pyrate Chip
    Now with 100% More Pants!!
    70.4% FaireFolk Corrupt = RenRat

Madame Chatterbox Eric McTavish is on a distinguished road Eric McTavish's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Laurel
    By reading his profile on CNN. He does not sound like he is much more progressive.
    They said he was against the homsexualism and women having progressive roles in the church.
    he was also a member of the Nazi Youth... but we'll have to see what his plans are, I for one am willing to give him the benifet of the doubt...till he does something stupis (like shuffle around pedifile priests etc...)
    Minion #8 The Official Kilted mascott of the the Clan of the Dancing Pickle
    l, Ceol, Bia agus Craic!
    Clan McD's Order of the Medieval Cracker
    The Frothy Topping On The Cappuccino Of Chivalry
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway."
    Thats MR. "Kissy Kissy Goo Goo Man" to you!
    My LiveJournal

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Needs a Hobby Lucy will become famous soon enough Lucy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalene
    Kinda like how most of us wenches don't use our birth names at faire.
    What?!?!?! Well I never! :P Ya mean my name really ISN'T Lucy???
    ~Lucy~
    Wench #2772 MCL
    Madame Emeritus Local 77
    SSPF#9 - The Official Pickle Provoker - GOT PICKLE?
    Lucy Buckles, Captain of The HMS Crimson Phoenix #1195
    Widow Lucinda Lestrange, Baroness of Devonshire
    High Priestess of the Imperial Order of the Black Butterfly
    Pillar to the Castleteers, 1/2 of the Wicked Sisters, Ette!
    Booty'n Penny
    Knight of Cuchulian
    Ren Merc#788
    Pinned RenGeek
    OCP

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McTavish
    he was also a member of the Nazi Youth... but we'll have to see what his plans are, I for one am willing to give him the benifet of the doubt...till he does something stupis (like shuffle around pedifile priests etc...)

Oh, boy! Nazi Youth-- my favourite! I can't WAIT! WOOT!

Sigh.

Anyway, I really wanna see a Pope Bob. Or Pope Jimmy. That'd rock.
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Wily Wench Magdalene is on a distinguished road Magdalene's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eric McTavish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cardinal_Ratzinger

OK, folks--I'm not a fan of the new Pope the way I was John Paul II (I will admit my first reaction was, "He's just an interim Pope..."), but I will concede that being forced to join an organization by a totalarian regime when you're still a child is a far cry from doing so voluntarily of your own free will as an adult. And given John Paul II's experiences with the Nazis, do you really think he'd have trusted this man so much if he thought he'd really meant it?
    Magdalene
    Wench 1024/The Y1K compliant wench
    Vice Madame (CO) & Founding Member of Ch. 35
    Royal Privateer #57
    Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
    KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
    1/2 of the Comedic Courtesans
    And one of Moonie\'s Naughty Kittens

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information