+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Martha Washington was a Hottie

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Martha Washington was a Hottie

Quote Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
    This story confuses me.

Basically the revelation is...she wasn't always old?

Well, basically...yeah. You know how it is. People think of Shakespeare, and they think of the one picture we have of him: middle aged, balding, with a ridiculous-looking collar. But he was also young and vibrant, writing love sonnets to Anne Hathaway, tramping across the country with a troupe of actors, writing of blood and rhetoric AND love. He may have gotten his big break because one actor stabbed another in the street. He and his company tore down the Globe in the middle of the night and moved the whole thing across the river to get away from a bastard landlord. His contemporary and competitor Marlowe fatally met with "a great reckoning in a little room." There was a LOT going on in his life that we choose to simply forget, somehow imagining he was always that flat, balding, two-dimensional image.

We reduce these people to one moment, one stage of their lives, and lose who they really were.
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Member of Local 96 Madame Chatterbox Torra is a jewel in the rough Torra is a jewel in the rough Torra is a jewel in the rough Torra is a jewel in the rough Torra's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ysobelle View Post
    We reduce these people to one moment, one stage of their lives, and lose who they really were.
    I felt the point (not really revelation) of the whole article was that we need to reexamine all the things we take for granted because of the way people use anything and everything to suit their purposes when needed. Martha Washington was changed because of the value of that change for the American image. A lot of what anyone takes at face value might not be true at all. It seems a nice reminder, and helps put a lot of things in perspective.
    38.2% FaireFolk pure (61.8% FaireFolk corrupt)

The Tea Wench - #3445

The cup is always half-full; it's just that sometimes it's half-full of empty.
    http://thecrackedcup.wordpress.com

Madame Chatterbox Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also understood the article to show that despite books that had been written about her and rumors flying around, she was not a dumpy, ugly woman that George settled for to marry. That he actually *chose* her, and she him, cause they were both stud muffins, lol.
    Last edited by Gemdrite; 02-06-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: choice of words
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason." -Voltaire

Independent Scentsy Consultant - Scentsy Wickless Candles - https://gemdrite.scentsy.us/

Madame Chatterbox Alchemist23 will become famous soon enough Alchemist23 will become famous soon enough Alchemist23's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

She'll still always be viewed the way she's been viewed for hundreds of years. That's just the way humans are, and we won't change. It seems to me, when ever we do this age regression things, we end up making them "hotties" to our current standards of good looking, which are not the same as they were back then. I take it all with a grain of salt.
    68.4% pure...I\'m still a renaissance virgin, but getting better.
    IWG #3180

www.swaggertoes.deviantart.com

"When life itself seems lunatic who knows where madness lies?" -- Man of La Mancha

Member of Local 34 Madame Chatterbox Apropos has a spectacular aura about Apropos has a spectacular aura about Apropos's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    This really got my attention! The rumor in my family is this (which I have not yet confirmed)... Before meeting George Washington, Martha was married to a man with the last name of Drake. Well, that is the family name and a direct line to my biological grandmother. So according to my family history/rumor mill, I am related to her by marriage. Again, I am not sure. But if I am... It's cool my great great XXXX grandmother is a hottie! I just wish her good looks had passed down more in tact! Oh also according to the rumor, she was widowed from Drake when she met George.

Never heard Drake? She was married before to a man with the last name Custis. She had two children with him that George Washington raised after he married Martha. Her granddaughter and great granddaughter are buried by the tomb of George and Martha.

I spent one whole day visiting Mount Vernon. It is a fabulous place. It was a bit of a drive from DC but worth it.
    Apropos McWadlubet - Local Madame (Not to be confused with Loco Madame)
    IWG #2830
    SSPF #1...If it weren't for the sewers, my mind would be homeless
    Mischief Oh'Malley
    Mis-Chieftress of the Guild of Sain't. Misbehavin'

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1376005641

Needs a Hobby RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely has a spectacular aura about RichardMacHugely's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, she could chop down MY "cherry tree", if you know what I'm sayin'. . .

I'm just saying I have an old dead Japanese Cherry tree in my back yard that needs to come down is all. . . .
    Siol na fear fearail, deas gu gath!
    Rogue #1201
    Chieftain and Laird of Clan MacHuge
    First Mate of the Stormbringer
    Revels Master of the Wild Rovers
    The Whale-Rider
    Pyrate Chip
    Now with 100% More Pants!!
    70.4% FaireFolk Corrupt = RenRat

Madame Chatterbox Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love this!!! I took the article showing how capable she was and independent she was. For ages women have been shown to be so dependent this shows otherwise and I love it...
    Love, Light, and Laughter
    IWG #886
    Nefarious #7 GWT #19
    Proud to be a wench
    Owned and Loved by a Cat.....Meow

Gifted with Gab Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen will become famous soon enough Gwen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Apropos View Post
    Never heard Drake? She was married before to a man with the last name Custis. She had two children with him that George Washington raised after he married Martha. Her granddaughter and great granddaughter are buried by the tomb of George and Martha.

I spent one whole day visiting Mount Vernon. It is a fabulous place. It was a bit of a drive from DC but worth it.
    Thanks for the information! Like I said, I had not been able to research it. Supposively my grandfather had info that made the connection but my uncle is currently hording the paperwork! Anyway, at least the widow part was right. Now maybe there is a connection like it is my grandmother maternal side (not the paternal side of Drake) or something like that it true... That is if there is a connection at all! My grandfather passed a few years ago and my biological grandmother (the one who the connection is supposed to be through) died when I was two. So now I have to wait for it to go through my uncle and mom before I get to see it. So I wait!

Sorry for the thread jack!
    Last edited by Gwen; 02-06-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added the thread jack apology
    Local #9 IWG #3565

Cat MacBoom - Pet me right and you will get a proper licking... But mess with my girls and you will have to deal with my claws!

Curiosity killed the cat...
    but Satisfaction brought her back!

"You have a beautiful spirit"
    -said to me during a tough time years ago

As the Tartan Terrors would say...
    "England FOREVER... and Scotland for a wee bit longer!"

Proud member of the Scottish clan Donald

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information