+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beware the Ides of March

Madame Chatterbox Bronya has a spectacular aura about Bronya has a spectacular aura about Bronya's Avatar
    241 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth (RPFS)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Beware the Ides of March

I know I am a seasoned wench, but I am frustrated. I had to explain to my sales person, what this meant. I know our school system needs some adjustments. The teachers are way underpaid and have to do a lot of babysitting, but she is 40 years old! Could it just be her? Don't they still teach the classics, or mythology, Shakespear or World history anymore?
    Bronya Huelwin-Lasarina
    Keeper of the Vineyards
    IWG #751-Madame
    Toad Mistress #1
    R.E.A.P. #2-The Original Dainty Dozen
    Friends of Faire-RPFS
    IFoRP #26-(Admiral Saffron Korrie-Aynder)
    ...yes I am a pirate, 200 years to late, the canons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder...J.Buffet

"...I like the bed I'm sleeping in, just like me it's broken in...When I look in the mirror, I don't hate what I see, just a few more lines looking back at me...I'm not old, just older"-bonjovi

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Beware the Ides of March

When the teachers have to 'teach to the test' and are so stressed about getting everyone to pass a ridiculous benchmark test so they won't lose their funding, sadly the classics are one of the things that get pushed aside.

It's up to parents to fill in the gaps that are left.
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Madame Chatterbox Bronya has a spectacular aura about Bronya has a spectacular aura about Bronya's Avatar
    241 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth (RPFS)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your correct. My SIL is a math teacher in High School and what he HAS to do or NOT do is extrememly sad and frustrating on his part. I just meant that 25 years ago, things hadn't gotten so bad, or maybe they did. I in no way would ever complain about a teacher now with what they have to deal with, administration wise.
    Bronya Huelwin-Lasarina
    Keeper of the Vineyards
    IWG #751-Madame
    Toad Mistress #1
    R.E.A.P. #2-The Original Dainty Dozen
    Friends of Faire-RPFS
    IFoRP #26-(Admiral Saffron Korrie-Aynder)
    ...yes I am a pirate, 200 years to late, the canons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder...J.Buffet

"...I like the bed I'm sleeping in, just like me it's broken in...When I look in the mirror, I don't hate what I see, just a few more lines looking back at me...I'm not old, just older"-bonjovi

Member of Local 24 Madame Chatterbox Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron is just really nice Lady Hefron's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I learned it in public school Ancient History. This person is only 6 years younger than me.
    Wench #3559
    aka the Bionic Wench
    The Good Wench of the North (thanks Speed!)

NER #34

Privateer @1286 Ship's Clerk Black Rose II
    aka Lizette "Lizzy" Argent

http://lizzyargent.blogspot.com/

Fairely Well Maid
    http://www.artfire.com/users/Fairely-Well-Maid
    [email protected]

I'm like a cat, I always land on my feet.

Gifted with Gab Drea Beth is on a distinguished road Drea Beth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

One would think that the phrase has become such a coloquialism that everyone would have at least heard it...

...or maybe not.

I learned it in HS English.
    Andrea
    IWG #1025
    Merc #400
    Privateer #676
    JADED SNARKY BRAT #2 3/4
    aka Geneva, the neutral wench
    aka The Dread Pirate Barbie... ROFLMAO
    aka Spongebob Squarewench (thanks Alianne!)
    Waywardest of the Pilgrims
    The "Den Mother of Iniquity"
    The Quiet One

Verbose Veteran Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret is just really nice Margaret's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never learned this in school (I'm 43). I must have heard it somewhere, was curious and looked it up or had it explained to me.

Back in HS, I remember Romeo & Juliet was the only full play we read other than that, it was segments of other Shakesperian plays and sonnets.
    Mistress Margaret Baynham
    The Sweete Ladye
    IWG #1656 MCL
    SSPF #10 - She Who Dives to the Murky Depths
    Garb Whore #29
    The Fabric Whisperer

At the end of the day, all you have is trust and honor. G. Tenet

Madame Chatterbox LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I only learned it when I took AP English and World History classes..

Then again, I had a history teacher who started us learning about Julius by putting up a comic that had "Good LORD, Brutus. What is it that just struck me in the head?" "Hail, Caesar!" setup on it. I liked Mr Bagby
    "Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony" - Mahatma Gandhi

-The lord said unto John: Come forth! and receive eternal life!" But John came fifth..and won a toaster-

MCL #725

Naughty Little Gamer Fiend

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    I never learned this in school (I'm 43). I must have heard it somewhere, was curious and looked it up or had it explained to me.

Back in HS, I remember Romeo & Juliet was the only full play we read other than that, it was segments of other Shakesperian plays and sonnets.
    Same here and I'm 44.

I majored in elementary education and the further I got into my college work, the less I wanted to actually teach elementary school. I loved my placement work, but I wasn't the responsible teacher during my placement, so there were things I didn't yet need to hold my breath about. It was very sad to me at the time that when a second grader really needed (or wanted) a hug, we couldn't give them. All we could do was try to comfort or encourage them with words. It was all too political for me. Rushing through lessons to make sure everything got covered rather than taking the time to ensure the kids absorbed the material.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Verbose Veteran Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven is a glorious beacon of light Ravin' Raven's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LdyJhawk View Post
    "Good LORD, Brutus. What is it that just struck me in the head?" "Hail, Caesar!"
    The geek in me loves that.....

I think I knew about the Ides of March around elementary school but, then again, I'm weird...I have the following at my desk "oderint, dum metuant" and a picture of a squirrel saying "Rise my Army, Rise"
    Ravin' Raven
    Feisty "Bite" MacBoom - Chief Defender of the Clan - Don't Mess With My Girls "in vesta genua"

IWG# 3200 Local 9 Mount Hope Muses
    Ren-Merc #758 (that's right, Battle Bytch!)
    IFRP #1059

She of the evil overbite - AKA "Dy" - so sayeth MFS
    Oh Holy SnorglePod! Youse so fukkin hawt! - so sayeth Phee
    "'tis the kissing bridge, not the birthing bridge!!!" so sayeth the Sheriff

Fire Dragon to the Water Dragon - The joining of water and fire does not quench the fire, it warms the water.

Power is the ability not to have to please

Member of Local 34 Verbose Veteran Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke is a glorious beacon of light Isabelle Warwicke's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Fates, we will know your pleasures:That we shall die, we know; 'tis but the time, and drawing days out, that men stand upon."
    Isabelle Warwicke
    Panties for Peace

The Hench Wench "If you can't do something smart, do something brave"
    Madame Emeritus, Local #34, Guild of the Garter
    In Vino Veritas

alias'
    Jolie Rouge, Surgeon on the HMS Raven
    Wasabi the SOB
    Friend of Faire, Outlander, R.E.A.P, GarbWhore & Pricked Finger Society

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information