+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new toolbar, and inline enhancements

Grand Poohbahs Needs a Hobby webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb The new toolbar, and inline enhancements

Toolbar
    As you may have noticed, there is a new toolbar that appears when you scroll down the page a little anywhere on this site. I know a few of you have expressed unhappiness with this addition, but before you judge it too harshly, I wanted to let you know how powerful it is.

Besides the fact that it makes it easy to share posts with friends on Facebook and/or Twitter, and provides a handy link back to the homepage now matter how far down the page you've scrolled, the search box is more than just a site search.

Using the search box in the toolbar that pops up, you can search this website, wikipedia, youtube, amazon, google images and more - all of the most relevent results show up in the little popup window once you hit "enter" after entering a keyword or two.

Before you even hit enter, the search box will try to help you narrow down what you're looking for.

Screen shot 2010-06-29 at 4.42.23 PM.pngScreen shot 2010-06-29 at 4.41.58 PM.png

That said, if it still annoys you, just click on the double-arrow at the top left of the toolbar to collapse it. It will remember whether you've chosen to leave it alone or hide it throughout your visit.

Inline enhancements

Double-click to search:
    By double-clicking on a short word or phrase anywhere on the site, you'll be presented with a shortcut to search this website and others for related info.

Screen shot 2010-06-29 at 4.45.47 PM.png

Preview windows for popular websites:
    If you post a link to one of a pile of popular websites, you'll notice a small inline icon added to the beginning of the link. If it's a link to YouTube, a little film strip icon will show up. Link to Twitter, and a little person icon will show up. Links to mp3s will display a little speaker icon, etc. Mousing over on any of these tiny icons will popup a player so that you can watch the video/listen to the mp3/preview the user's twitter stream/read the wikipedia article/etc without leaving the page or opening up a new browser.

Screen shot 2010-06-29 at 4.47.57 PM.png

Hopefully as you get used to these enhancements, you'll find them helpful.

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The new toolbar, and inline enhancements

Love the Search and Preview Window tools!

Though I haven't yet used the toolbar, I can't say it bothers me at all.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Madame Chatterbox Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress View Post
    That said, if it still annoys you, just click on the double-arrow at the top left of the toolbar to collapse it. It will remember whether you've chosen to leave it alone or hide it throughout your visit.
    I had collapsed my toolbar right pretty much right after you posted this thread telling us how to do it (thanks for that!) and hadn't had any problems afterwards. However, today, the toolbar is back on my screen again, and even though I have collapsed it in every thread I have checked, it keeps coming back. Any ideas?
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason." -Voltaire

Independent Scentsy Consultant - Scentsy Wickless Candles - https://gemdrite.scentsy.us/

Madame Chatterbox AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

The same thing has been happening to me for a couple of days. I find it distracting to have to mess with it constantly. It doesn't drive me crazy...just...what?...oh I have to close that thing again.
    Mom of four...Grannie of six.
    Member of the Swagger Inn
    The Guild of Saint Elizabeth I, Gloriana! #1
    Founder of Renaissance Remembered..a costume shop, The Crazy Quilters..four women who do more than just quilt.
    Twin A of "Double Trouble" since 1955
    The B of B&K since 1964
    One half of the BE Originals...8-6-1973.
    Keeper of the The Enchanted Circle (a standing stone circle)
    She who sees spirits

Grand Poohbahs Needs a Hobby webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress has much to be proud of webmistress's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking into it.

Madame Chatterbox AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks...you're the best!
    Mom of four...Grannie of six.
    Member of the Swagger Inn
    The Guild of Saint Elizabeth I, Gloriana! #1
    Founder of Renaissance Remembered..a costume shop, The Crazy Quilters..four women who do more than just quilt.
    Twin A of "Double Trouble" since 1955
    The B of B&K since 1964
    One half of the BE Originals...8-6-1973.
    Keeper of the The Enchanted Circle (a standing stone circle)
    She who sees spirits

Downloads
    Uploads

Apture's community manager just told me that they rolled out a bunch of big updates last night. He's looking into what changed that may be causing this behavior.

Guild Royalty - Elected Official Verbose Veteran Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle is a glorious beacon of light Ysobelle's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gremlins?
    Nikki Cohen
    Mistress Ysobelle
    Madame Cum Laude #111
    Local Madame
    Mount Hope Muses, IWG Local #9
    IWG Guild Representative for the State of PA
    www.MayFaireMoon.com - Corsets & Costumes
    MayFaireMoon.livejournal.com

Downloads
    Uploads

They pushed a fix through - let me know if you're still having a problem.

Madame Chatterbox Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress View Post
    They pushed a fix through - let me know if you're still having a problem.
    Yay, it seems to be gone now! Thank you so much, Snipe!
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason." -Voltaire

Independent Scentsy Consultant - Scentsy Wickless Candles - https://gemdrite.scentsy.us/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information