+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Concerning Possible Renn Faire "Rudeness"

Madame Chatterbox DoņaNina is on a distinguished road DoņaNina's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Concerning Possible Renn Faire "Rudeness"

Hey guys, I had a question I'd like to ask, because while I've been doing the faire thing for a while, there is one little issue I'm on the fence about.

So, friendly ribbing amongst faire folk is pretty normal. Gentle teasing, that sorta thing. Saying someone looks like a saucy wench and such is cool. However, sometimes someone comes along and throws a curveball, and I'm left wondering if it was friendly ribbing or a serious punch to the gut.

I'll give you an example, but before I do that, let me just say that I'm exremely sensitive. I was bullied a lot as a kid, so being "picked on" in a less then nice way always gets to me. I'm still wondering if this was actual unfriendliness, or just another faire ribbing.. but since I didn't know this person at all, I was a little less open to out-of-nowhere insults.

So anyway, I spoke to a faire performer holding a sign leading to his show. There is a similar show at another nearby faire, so I engaged him with a greeting and said I was excited to attend his show. He responded by saying that he had a free brothel that could keep me busy. It wasn't in a charming cheerful way, he didn't laugh, he just said it with a straight face and walked away. Me being a simple sensitive type, I just kinda went back to my group, feeling put-off and sad. The next day, my boss told me that the only bad part about this faire (my boss was there on the same day) was this particular performer. He attended the show that I mentioned, and said that this person was uncomfortably rude, yelled at several children, and generally made his audience feel less than welcome. He and several other people wrote a scathing review afterwards.

So, this made me thing; well, maybe this guy was a jerk! Maybe I had every right to feel offended! But at the same time, maybe that's normal. Maybe some faire folk are cool with a few insults being lobbed their way.

How do you guys feel about it? Is it normal? Are we just sensitive creatures? I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the wrong, here.
    Member of Local #42
    Lady Loudmouth of the Cracked Keg Crew!

Forum Newbie Moira Danue Conandel is an unknown quantity at this point Moira Danue Conandel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Concerning Possible Renn Faire "Rudeness"

I think it is important to make your character personable to others, even if your character is tough or seemingly stand-offish. If this guy is making people actively feel uncomfortable, patrons and actors alike, without the hint that it is an act, then there is a problem.

You could always let him know that the brothel wouldn't have him even if he paid ;)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Moira Danue Conandel View Post
    You could always let him know that the brothel wouldn't have him even if he paid ;)
    See, it's zingers like that I wish I could come up with on the spot. I just get too tongue-tied when I think someone is being mean! Flashbacks to the 3rd grade!
    Member of Local #42

Forum Newbie Moira Danue Conandel is an unknown quantity at this point Moira Danue Conandel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't be able to come up with it on the spot either, so we're both in the same boat there :)

Also, since I'm sitting in front of a computer without the flustered rush of adrenaline from such a situation, let's put this in our ammunition pouch:

"You only wish I were that undiscerning, love."
    "I know you'd love that, but have no use for eunuchs."

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Moira Danue Conandel View Post
    "I know you'd love that, but have no use for eunuchs."
    Fabulous!

I need a list of these for when I get too tongue tied!
    Member of Local #42

Verbose Veteran Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can add this to your pouch of comebacks.

With a straight face, stand even straighter, look him up and down as though you smell something rotting and say,

"Not if you were the last erect man on the face of the planet."

Look him up and down again with a wrinkled nose, and deliberately turn 180 degrees and walk away.

Madame Chatterbox SHpepperKat has a spectacular aura about SHpepperKat has a spectacular aura about SHpepperKat has a spectacular aura about SHpepperKat's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a performer who did not take his acting classes seriously. Even as new as I am to the fun of acting, I know that you don't want to make your audience uncomfortable in a place where the goal is to create an atmosphere of belief and fantasy. We want to make people think they are really at a faire in the Renaissance period. So yes, he was rude and yes, a politely worded letter to faire management about how exactly he made you feel is appropriate.
    If someone did that at our faire here, I can guarantee that management would want to know about it. We don't want people to feel bad. It's supposed to be fun.
    IWG # 3121

I sniffed coke ... but the ice cubes went up my nose.

Don't drink water... Fish have sex in it.

Cougar #13

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to write a small letter about what happened.

And continue to fill that bag of zings! (Now I gotta get a leather pouch that says "bag of zings"..)
    Member of Local #42

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DoņaNina View Post
    (Now I gotta get a leather pouch that says "bag of zings"..)
    I love it!
    Moira Danue Conandel

Wench #3787
    of
    Local #49, The Borealis Beauties of Anchorage, Alaska

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not to defend what you and others felt was rudeness, but there is a performer on circuit (whose name escapes me, I'm thinking Christophe? ) the Insulter. His whole schtick is to insult folks, horribly, rudely, constantly. Patrons can purchase his 'services' towards a member of their group, kind of like a Roast. He's apparently hilarious to some. Personally I don't find that kind of humor to be very, well... humorous, but there are some who do. Could this fellow have been the same guy?
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information