+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kid Cries when he does not catch a Ball/ Fox news

Madame Chatterbox Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kid Cries when he does not catch a Ball/ Fox news

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again." *sigh* It won't let me give reputation to anyone anymore, because not enough people post for me to spread it around before coming back. Grr.
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason." -Voltaire

Independent Scentsy Consultant - Scentsy Wickless Candles - https://gemdrite.scentsy.us/

Generous Benefactor Verbose Veteran Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah is a name known to all Lady Sarah's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, everyone's basically saying that my feelings about giving the kid the ball is what leads to entitled children and I'm destined to be a horrible parent because I would have given the kid the ball had I caught it - even though I don't necessarily want it for myself.

Good to know. I'll keep my parenting concepts to myself in the future.

For the record, I NEVER said that giving in to the kid was right or that he deserved it. I just felt that it was wrong for the couple next to him to have reached out and taken the ball in their excitement. Maybe I've been to so many games at the stadium that catching a ball holds no glamour or sentiment to me.
    Lady Sarah Grimm
    Her Grace, Lady Sarah the Edible of Giggleswick under Table

Yup. I'm a Bitch. Thankfully this isn't breaking news.

IWG #2715, Merc #649, REAP #47, SSPF #6 - The Temptress of the Six. AMOK!!
    Free Range Wench!

I... am... Fish Ninja!! (Because Yso said so!)

The Guild of St. Elizabeth I, Gloriana! - God Save the Wardrobe!
    http://armadiodellasignora.blogspot.com/

All Praise The Mighty Rack!
    "Beauty is someone you notice... Charm is someone who notices you." - fortune cookie
    There is no secret ingredient.

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh for heaven's sake, Sarah - no one said you were destined for anything. You voiced your opinion, we voiced ours. They differ. It happens.
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Madame Chatterbox Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite is a name known to all Gemdrite's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't care about catching a ball and you want to give it to a kid, good, fine, more power to you. But that doesn't mean everybody feels that way, and I personally would be thrilled to catch a ball at a ball game. I would *not* give it to the kid near me just cause he's a kid. They didn't reach out in front of the kid; in fact, it landed at their feet between the man and woman who got the ball. The kid held out his hand, expecting it to be given to him. It wasn't, and he got pissed. *Catering to the temper tantrum* is what creates entitlement issues, and the nationwide attitude of "kids come first." Sorry, no, they don't always come first. There are situations where they should, yes, of course. This was not one of them.
    "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason." -Voltaire

Independent Scentsy Consultant - Scentsy Wickless Candles - https://gemdrite.scentsy.us/

Madame Chatterbox AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie is a jewel in the rough AnnaFaerie's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why can't we give rep points anymore? The last few times I've tried I get the same message that I have to spread it around more before I can give it to the person I want to give it to.

Consider yourself repped, Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemdrite View Post
    If you don't care about catching a ball and you want to give it to a kid, good, fine, more power to you. But that doesn't mean everybody feels that way, and I personally would be thrilled to catch a ball at a ball game. I would *not* give it to the kid near me just cause he's a kid. They didn't reach out in front of the kid; in fact, it landed at their feet between the man and woman who got the ball. The kid held out his hand, expecting it to be given to him. It wasn't, and he got pissed. *Catering to the temper tantrum* is what creates entitlement issues, and the nationwide attitude of "kids come first." Sorry, no, they don't always come first. There are situations where they should, yes, of course. This was not one of them.
    Mom of four...Grannie of six.
    Member of the Swagger Inn
    The Guild of Saint Elizabeth I, Gloriana! #1
    Founder of Renaissance Remembered..a costume shop, The Crazy Quilters..four women who do more than just quilt.
    Twin A of "Double Trouble" since 1955
    The B of B&K since 1964
    One half of the BE Originals...8-6-1973.
    Keeper of the The Enchanted Circle (a standing stone circle)
    She who sees spirits

Madame Chatterbox Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix McHeit View Post
    This.

If I gave in every time my toddler boys cried over not getting something they wanted, I'd have a bunch of entitled, spoiled, teenagers. Yes, he cried. He's three. They do that. But that does not mean he needs to get his way automatically, nor does it mean that the couple who caught the ball were *being mean* to the kid. To a three-y/o, not getting a ball is reason to cry, sure. But it's not the end of the world, and he WOULD HAVE learned that, if he hadn't been given a ball specifically because he cried about losing out on the original one. Now he's learned that if he cries hard enough, strangers will make sure he gets his way.

And personally I'm SICK over the 'adults need to give something up if there is a child in the vicinity who might want it' mindset that the announcer had. I'd be excited as heck to get a thrown ball. Those things are damned expensive at the souvenir stand.

Life's hard. Get a helmet.

Totally.. this is what I wanted to say and cannot articulate it like you can... Yes!
    I feel like society has turned into an entitlment society and passing it along to their kids. ( but thats another issue all together) I felt like the couple was not in anyway trying to hurt the child. Honestly, I tune out kids when I am out, not because I am mean or bothered, I have 4 teenage stepkids and not little ones
    so I am not tuned into crying etc... I felt like the media hyped this up so much and made the couple malicious people when they were just having fun. Well hell next time before I do anything I will make sure there is not a camera on me so people won't try to construe whatever I am doing into some bad.
    Love, Light, and Laughter
    IWG #886
    Nefarious #7 GWT #19
    Proud to be a wench
    Owned and Loved by a Cat.....Meow

Madame Chatterbox Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel will become famous soon enough Lady Laurel's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gemdrite View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phoenix McHeit again." *sigh* It won't let me give reputation to anyone anymore, because not enough people post for me to spread it around before coming back. Grr.
    I tried to give you Kudos...
    Love, Light, and Laughter
    IWG #886
    Nefarious #7 GWT #19
    Proud to be a wench
    Owned and Loved by a Cat.....Meow

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information