+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Children's Kilt Recommendations

Needs a Hobby Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne's Avatar
    NYC or Southampton -- depends on the time of year
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Children's Kilt Recommendations

Now that I've finally managed to trace the Scottish branch of my family tree, I wanted to get Gwydion a kilt in the clan tartan. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can get one that won't cost a small fortune? His Black Watch one was easy to find inexpensive, but I'm having a hard time finding someplace to get the specific clan tartan that's not going to cost a few hundred - maybe I'll spend that when he stops growing, but I'd rather not shell out that much right now! :)
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Proud mommy of Gwydion - the cutest little monster
    and Rhiannon - the Little Princess

Pusher of the big
    red button.
    People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. -Leo J. Burke
    The Dark Side had cookies: http://www.facebook.com/jamianne

Member of Local 13 Needs a Hobby RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait has a spectacular aura about RaevynCait's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Children's Kilt Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jamianne View Post
    Now that I've finally managed to trace the Scottish branch of my family tree, I wanted to get Gwydion a kilt in the clan tartan. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can get one that won't cost a small fortune? His Black Watch one was easy to find inexpensive, but I'm having a hard time finding someplace to get the specific clan tartan that's not going to cost a few hundred - maybe I'll spend that when he stops growing, but I'd rather not shell out that much right now! :)
    Have you checked SportKilt?
    Raevyn

IWG 3450
    Lady Evyl Squiggle MacGiggle
    Wench at Large #2 (So Sayeth the Countess), CW #21
    PipeWench
    b00bEnabler to the Canadian
    Sunblock Nazi
    Center of all Evil

15.1% FaireFolk pure (84.9% FaireFolk corrupt).

"My darling girl, when are you going to understand that 'normal' isn't a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ---Practical Magic
    Love is like paint,...it makes things beautiful when you spread it, ...but it will dry up if you don't use it--- Fortune Cookie

Needs a Hobby Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's where I got his first one, I think. :) They don't have my clan tartan there. :(
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Pusher of the big
    red button.

Verbose Veteran Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean is a jewel in the rough Bean's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would suggest that instead of trying to get the actual clan tartan that you get something similar to it while he is growing. When he reaches the age when he stops growing, or at least slows down a bit, then you can splurge on the genuine tartan. No sense spending a lot when he's just going to outgrow it in a season of faire.
    Bean, the last brunette of the herd
    IWG #2158
    Acting Madame of Vice
    PA Local 9 3/4 (taking over the world, one faire at a time)
    REAP #35
    GWT #27
    Bodice set on stun
    Keeper of the pygmies
    The wandering wench

Madame Chatterbox LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk is a glorious beacon of light LdyJhawk's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jamianne View Post
    Getting a tartan, specifically one that may be hard to find, is going to cost. Easy to find tartans in 2001 were running about 75.00 a yard. I would second the find one that's close enough if it's the look you're going for, and not the concern for authenticity.

There are plenty of places online that will sell you what you want and will charge you a fortune because if it's tough to find, the mills have to weave it specifically and OH how you pay for that
    "Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony" - Mahatma Gandhi

-The lord said unto John: Come forth! and receive eternal life!" But John came fifth..and won a toaster-

MCL #725

Naughty Little Gamer Fiend

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it's that rare since I've found it at most of the sites I've looked at. It seems that tartans in general that aren't Black Watch, Pride of Scotland, or any of the "general" plaids are more expensive. Though I'm thinking that we got three years out of his last kilt, so if I can get one that has some growing room, the cost may not be so bad if we can get a few years out of it.
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Pusher of the big
    red button.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information