+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homebrewed Mead

Wily Wench MillieWylde is on a distinguished road MillieWylde's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homebrewed Mead

Anywench out there do any home brewing? We often have a beer working, and I've been experimenting with meads too. I really like the dry mead that can be made with Montrachet yeast. I find that Champagne yeast makes a mead that is much too sweet for my tastes. Anyone have experience using a different kind of yeast for mead??
    Wench #3884
    -----
    "If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - Apache saying

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homebrewed Mead

WellAnyway.....

I made a sage-flavored mead last summer. Just bottled it yesterday, and it is absolutely delicious. It's good to make yer own alcy-ma-hol....!
    Wench #3884
    -----
    "If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - Apache saying

Verbose Veteran MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow is a name known to all MaidenFaeSnow's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

sounds yummy, never thought of sage flavor for mead. I always associate it with sweet.
    Grog Wench/Morale Maiden - The Wench's Pride
    Lady Twitch MacGiggle - Clan MacGiggle
    Mischief MacBoom-Official Evidence Collector
    "Tis the Kissing Bridge, not the Birthing Bridge!" So sayeth the Sheriff, So Sayeth Dy
    "ROBOWench" per the Pocket Pirate!
    I was ROGUED! 4.20.08

Handbook Links

I believe that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. ~inspirational email

Member of Local 9 Verbose Veteran Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit is a splendid one to behold Phoenix McHeit's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't tried homebrew... yet. I'm reading up on things, getting more and more interested in it. But, alas, I have nothing of practical, hands-on knowledge to contribute.
    AKA The Grammar Goddess - c/o Ravin Raven
    Wench #2889 MCL... S.S.P.F. #3,Mistress of Oral Fixations... IFRP# 1194, Carpenter's Apprentice (Measurer of Wood) on The Wenches Pride,
    Lusty 'Legs' MacBoom.Mommy of the Clan"in vesta genua"
    Aww, did I just step on your poor, itty-bitty ego?(c/o Absinthe)
    PARENT is a VERB!!! Correlation: The children you have are the ones you raised Ergo: The children you have are the ones you deserve.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. ~Robert A. Heinlein
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~Flannery O'Connor
    What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?~ Jeph Jacques

Wily Wench Rowen is on a distinguished road Rowen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MillieWylde View Post
    Anywench out there do any home brewing? We often have a beer working, and I've been experimenting with meads too. I really like the dry mead that can be made with Montrachet yeast. I find that Champagne yeast makes a mead that is much too sweet for my tastes. Anyone have experience using a different kind of yeast for mead??
    I've only brewed mead once-I used Montrachet yeast on the recommendation of my supply guy. He said I must use a robust yeast to overcome honey's natural resistance to fermentation (that's what makes it such a great preservative.) My small experimental batch is bottled and now 3 years old, and is a lovely pale gold. I tasted it last year to see how it was doing: I used clover honey to make it, so the faint background is floral.
    It is naturally dry, not sweet, but back sweetening mead with honey after the yeast has died and settled is considered OK, if sweet wine is your preference.

P.S I refuse to touch that Everclear+whatever that some people carry around in their flasks and call 'mead'. I have had a few folks think that is what real mead is.

P.S.S-This year will be an excellent one for strawberry wine. Labor intensive preparing and squeezing the must, but soooooo worth it!
    Last edited by Rowen; 06-25-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IWG wench #3139 Local #29

19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Downloads
    Uploads

Strawberry wine? That sounds DELICIOUS!! How does one make it?

Perhaps the most labor-intensive brew I've made to date is Dandelion Wine. We picked fresh dandelions from our yard - but you are supposed to remove ALL of the green parts... I sat on my kitchen floor for hours, pulling those flowers apart! But oh was it worth it...

Normally, you're supposed to let a wine age for at least 6 months before tasting it to see if it's ready. Granted, we tend to taste early. That dandelion wine turned out so delicious that we'd finished the whole gallon by 4 months out! I really ought to make another batch of it this summer, in fact.
    Wench #3884
    -----

Member of Local 9 Wily Wench RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't had any experience with home brewing yet. My boyfriend and I are thinking of brewing some mead/wine/beer though. We've been looking at different recipes and the like as well as reading up on home brewing.

Any recommendations on what to try making first?
    IWG #3777
    Local #9

"Live well, Laugh often, Love much"

Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly, a wine or a mead is easier than a beer. Any way you work it though, it helps to have a seasoned brewer on hand the first time you make something, though. Just a thought, if there are any in your area.
    Wench #3884
    -----

Wily Wench Rowen is on a distinguished road Rowen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MillieWylde View Post
    Strawberry wine? That sounds DELICIOUS!! How does one make it?

Perhaps the most labor-intensive brew I've made to date is Dandelion Wine. We picked fresh dandelions from our yard - but you are supposed to remove ALL of the green parts... I sat on my kitchen floor for hours, pulling those flowers apart! But oh was it worth it...

Normally, you're supposed to let a wine age for at least 6 months before tasting it to see if it's ready. Granted, we tend to taste early. That dandelion wine turned out so delicious that we'd finished the whole gallon by 4 months out! I really ought to make another batch of it this summer, in fact.

I want to make dandelion wine...I have a bottle of the 'professional' stuff at home-just to see how it's supposed to taste (thanks go out to the wineries of Amana colonies and their little 16 oz bottles)

Strawberry wine is the only one I've made that smells and tastes just like the berries.. Amazing.
    Make sure you use ripe strawberries with a strong scent and sweetness. prepare as you would any recipe requiring fresh fruit or berries.
    Last edited by Rowen; 07-27-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IWG wench #3139 Local #29

19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Local 26 Forum Freak Brigid is on a distinguished road Brigid's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm, sage mead sounds good..... I think I will be trying pumpkin ale brewed and fermented in a giant pumpkin this fall, should be very interesting, my sister does mead, she did a cran-orange, spiced, and hibiscus, this past year and I have been doing wine, my last was a very surprising blackberry that was more dry red with a very berry aroma than taste, but very good!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information