+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you find to be the most aggravating at a faire?

Member of Local 64 Forum Freak LadyStacy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What do you find to be the most aggravating at a faire?

Fellow wenches,

I was advised to start a new thread and maybe get some activity going on this board.

I am a newbie and I am looking for LOTS of feedback on attending a faire and how best to prepare for it. So far I have received many messages about wardrobe and accessories. Now for the other side.

What is it about a faire that really upsets you? I would use stronger language here but I'm trying to be nice about things.

I'm sure there is SOMETHING that makes your blood boil. Please share and help me better understand what the heck (again nice language) I'm getting myself into.

So what is it? Here's your chance to do a little venting too so we'll both benefit.

Lady Stacy

Member of Local 9 Wily Wench RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What do you find to be the most aggravating at a faire?

I think one of the things that has annoyed me most at faires I have been too (primarily at PARF for me) have been the lewd comments your hear being said by patrons about the way those in garb appear. Specifically their bosoms and back sides when they are laced into corsets/bodices. I, myself, am small in the front and when I wear a bodice/corset I actually have cleavage. (Something I was so excited about when it happened but not something that I project to other people unless I know them and it is in private - my sister for example has heard my excitement over having cleavage numerous times). I had a patron, a male patron - drunk, come up to me as I was leaving a booth where I had made a purchase and ask me if he could help me put my money away in my cleavage where it would be safe.

These cases are not too often (at least I hope not) but every now and then you get one or two bold enough to be that crude to someone they do not know just because they want to be a lecher.

My only other major annoyances have been people who get completely plastered while at faire - but ground security tends to take care of those.
    IWG #3777
    Local #9

"Live well, Laugh often, Love much"

Downloads
    Uploads

Lewd comments from drunken guys? NO WAY!

The over indulgence of alcohol at events sometimes make me think that some people (gals included) leave their brains at home. The grounds security tries to deal with these folks but they can't be everywhere. Girls, please remember to be careful.

We go to these events laced into corsets to better project ourselves. Does this somehow gives the male patrons permisson to think and say (and try) whatever they want?

I also hope that these cases rarely happen.

I can see how this can ruin a fun time.

Lady Stacy

Member of Local 9 Wily Wench RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox will become famous soon enough RedFox's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of the times the stuff that annoys is the stuff that is to be expected. Like lewd comments/actions from drunkards XD Though to be honest I have a MUCH longer list of things that annoy me from conventions then I have ever had from going to faire.
    IWG #3777
    Local #9

"Live well, Laugh often, Love much"

Downloads
    Uploads

To me conventions can be fun. It all depends on your role there. If you're working then I can't help but think that your feet are killing you since you have to be standing all day.

The conventions that I've gone to are as a visitor for the Engineering type. Fun and an excuse to get out of work for the day.

There seems to be few difficulties with ren faires. Maybe the real world is the one that needs help.

Lady Stacy

Verbose Veteran Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench is just really nice Buxom Wench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Drunk or sober, I detest that some people think that just because we are dressed as Wenches, we are "loose" women.
    We come from all walks of life in the "real world". I know college professors, secretaries, chefs, nurses, lawyers, etc. If those same said idiots met us in real life, they'd probably run the other way. We go to faire to "play dress up" and let the worries of the week fall to the wayside while we relax and enjoy our friends. For someone to presume what we do is the biggest insult.

As for the leches and their 7th grade comments, I usually stop, look them up and down, sniff the air as if I smell rotten eggs, and then walk away. They're not worth my time.

All in all, I enjoy faire too much to let those little things annoy me.

It's all in your attitude and if you let things bother you.

Downloads
    Uploads

The comments of Buxom Wench are so well said.

Take trust in that our spirit is stronger that that of those with the 7th grade comments, and mentality. They are all the exception and not the norm.

As you pointed out we are professionals from different backgrounds and all walks of life. We are NOT the "loose" women that some think we are.

We all need a break from the daily pressures, myself included. Whiel doing so we don't need some people coming along and ruining our fun.

So what else is bothering everyone? Is the weather at the faires too hot, cold or wet? Do you go to the faire just for the delicious food at reasonable prices? Is the cost of admission too low? Come on, girls, there has to be something else about faires that bothers you. Speak up! I want to hear it all.

If there IS something wonderful I want to hear that too. Obviously there HAS to be something about this or we just wouldn't be here.

As always, please be careful.

Lady Stacy

Needs a Hobby Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne has a spectacular aura about Jamianne's Avatar
    NYC or Southampton -- depends on the time of year
    Downloads
    Uploads

My biggest pet peeve is people who insist on touching. Examples:

I've had people pet/pull on my fox tail. This has resulted in smacked hands as I don't turn around anymore, I just swat. More than once I've been yelled at by some parent because I just swatted their little snowflake's hand. My response: "Teach them not to touch without asking first." Nine times out of ten, if someone (usually a child) asks to feel my tail, I'll let them.

I get people (usually men) trying to pull out whatever's in my cleavage. I usually have a bodice chiller and a rose. I still can't believe that people think it's okay to stick their hands between my boobs. They may be out there, but it's not an invitation to touch!

People have also tried to pull my dagger out of its sheath, open my pouches, or just generally be touchy-feely. These are complete strangers. Pisses me off to no end. Just because I'm in working a booth or in garb, does not give a pass to touch any part of me or my garb or accessories.

Okay, mini-rant over. :)

This doesn't happen too often, mind you. But enough to note.
    ~Jamianne~

IWG #2092
    PFS #14
    GWT #23

Proud mommy of Gwydion - the cutest little monster
    and Rhiannon - the Little Princess

Pusher of the big
    red button.
    People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. -Leo J. Burke
    The Dark Side had cookies: http://www.facebook.com/jamianne

Member of Local 35 Wily Wench shyanwench is an unknown quantity at this point shyanwench's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a very interesting experience a last year... I visited St. Augustine, FL. There was a "pirate shop". Many of us in garb, will take on the persona we relate to for our Wenchiness or Piratess. Wow, I was impacted by a big surprise. I came to the conclusion that I was "way under-acting" . Mind you, I was not in garb-- unfortunately-- I was just a plain ole tourista! Oh my goodness-- The Piratess was down right hatefull! She made hateful comments to my daughter and grand baby. Be a Pirate-- but don't disrespect the customers. She lost a customer-- I was ready to drop $$$ on some new garb for the 3 of us. Haaaaa.... she lost her booty. The woman actually pushed me with her body... I wish I had been in garb, I would have make her walk the plank to get a new job.

I realized that I was not at Faire... however... I have, in the past--at the Colorado Ren. Fair, have encountered rude and demeaning vendors.
    Last edited by shyanwench; 01-25-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: made and addition
    IWG #3765
    Local #35 "Lush Mountains and Warm valleys"
    COUGAR # 88

IFRP #1491--One Eyed Dragon, First Mate.
    Augustine Androcton

Proud Mother of a Navy Disabled Veteran
    aka. (Ceridwen). Other daughter is still serving on active duty.
    [

Downloads
    Uploads

The episode that Jamianne experienced makes me wonder what the heck am I getting into. OK, there are A$$ Hole$ to be found everywhere but why can't everyone behave?

There are some Bozo's with a 7th grade mentality can have too many drinks and start to get too 'touchy feely'. I can understand but not accept their behavior. How do to keep these guys under control?

Where are the parents to keep their spawns under control when they start touching?

I've taught my kids, at a very young age, to respect other people and their property. I also explained to my kids that when there is a service dog (seeing-eye dog) they should NEVER walk up and pet them. These animals are working. I have been thanked by those with these animals for letting kids know this.

Sometimes I think that people should pass a test before they're allowed to reproduce.

Thanks for making me aware of the type of people that I may encounter.

Also, thanks for letting me vent a bit. I'm feeling much better now.

Lady Stacy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information